Solved

Webroot and Internet Provider

Userlevel 1
  • New Voice
  • 11 replies
I am not able to access my internet on my laptop. It seems like something is blocking me. I tried Mozilla Foxfire and when that failed I tried Internet explorer
icon

Best answer by AM 20 March 2014, 00:55

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi AM

Welcome to the Community Forums...http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sFun_thewave.gif

How are you trying to connect?  Wireless or cable?

In the Search programs & files option under the Start Menu (assuming Win 7...for Win 8 you can type the same in the Search feature) type in 'Network and Sharing' (minus the quotes) and that should display the Network & Sharing Center, and that should give you a view of your basic network information, etc.

What do you see?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Could it be the firewall that is not permitting Firefox to access the web
Userlevel 7
Hi AM

It could be but to be honest I have never heard of that happening (and I have heard of some pretty strange things...but there is always a first time). http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sFun_tease2.gif

OK, so click on the gear/cog symbol to the right of the PC Security tab in the app main panel.  And then under Shields & Firewall, click on the button at the bottom of the list of Shields, marked View Active Connections.

In the top half of the next panel, under Process, look at the list of files/processes and see if you can find Firefox.exe.  If you find it then check whether it is marked (on the right of the panel) as 'Allow' or 'Block'...and if 'Block' and you are sure that it is legitimate then change that to 'Allow'.

Let us know what you find.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 1
Firefox.exe doesn't appear what does appear is select-n-go 157.exe in c:programfiles(x86)select-n-go-soft. Which the word block is checked. I don't understand what this is
Userlevel 7
Hi AM

Let's deal with Firefox to start with.;)

The othe place to check is Application Protection, which you access by clicking on the gear/cog to the right of the Identity Protection tab on the main panel.  You then click on the Application Protection tab on the new panel displayed.and then look for firefox.exe under the Protection list.  If and when you find it and it is set as 'Deny' then that is what is blocking your use of it.  As before, if you are sure that the file is legitimate then change the setting to 'Protect'...NOT 'Allow' and see if that now allows Firefox to access the Internet.

If that works then take a look at this article to explain the differences between 'Protect', 'Allow' and 'Deny' options, etc.

Let us know how you get on...and if sorted re. Firefox then we can take a look at the select-n-go.exe that you have discovered as 'Blocked'.

Regards

Balðick
Userlevel 7
Hi AM

Just to let you know that I am having to go off line now...as I am based in the UK and it is very late over here.

I will check on this thread in the morning when I wake and see if there is any more I can help with.  In the meantime do post back and I am sure that one of the other members will jump in to help ( @  )

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Thank you for all your help . Did click on identity protection tab but no there was no application protection tab to select . Until tomorrow
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
@ wrote:
Firefox.exe doesn't appear what does appear is select-n-go 157.exe in c:programfiles(x86)select-n-go-soft. Which the word block is checked. I don't understand what this is
Uninstall Select-N-Go from your computer by using the Add/Remove Program feature in the Window's Control Panel.
  1. On the Start menu (for Windows 8, right-click the screen's bottom-left corner), click Control Panel, and then, underPrograms, do one of the following:[list]
  2. Windows Vista/7/8: Click Uninstall a Program.
  3. Windows XP: Click Add or Remove Programs.
When you find the program Select-N-Go, click it, and then do one of the following:
  • Windows Vista/7/8: Click Uninstall.
  • Windows XP: Click the Remove or Change/Remove tab (to the right of the program).
Follow the prompts. A progress bar shows you how long it will take to remove Select-N-Go.[/list]If you are having issues while trying to uninstall the program, you can use Revo Uninstaller

Mozilla Firefox
Open Mozilla Firefox. Navigate to Tools > Add-ons.
Click Extensions.
Uninstall/remove the extension(s) relating to the software.
Navigate to Tools > Options > General.
Under Home page, click "Restore to Default" or enter your desired homepage
Click OK to save the changes.

At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, go over to the Help sub-menu and selectTroubleshooting Information.
To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens. It will close and be reset.
When it's done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish and Firefox will open.

&
Read this thread:
Virus Removal Options

How to Remove Potentially Unwanted Applications

Thank you
Best regard, Petr.

Userlevel 7
Hi AM

OK, first a bit of information.

select-n-go is an app (developed by Select-N-Go Software) that displays context based advertising within a users web browser.  During setup, the program registers itself to launch on boot through a Windows Schedule Task in order to automatically start-up (this is typically done to avoid any UAC prompts). It adds a Browser Helper Object (BHO) to Internet Explorer. A scheduled task is added to Windows Task Scheduler in order to launch the program at various scheduled times (the schedule varies depending on the version). The main program executable is Select-N-Go_Up.exe. A vast majority of those who have this installed end up removing it just after a couple weeks. 

Essentially what is know as a PUA or PUP...a Potentially Unwanted Application or Program......so I am presuming that it is not something that you want.

If that is the case then what Petr has suggested in his post should do the trick...but remember that you will need to uninstall the main .exe, remove the BHO (helpers) added to your browser(s)...and check all the browsers you have installed, and will need to check for and remove Task Scheduler entries.

Now, if yo are in anyway unsure or not confident at being able to do that (and apologies in advance if you are tech savvy/knowledgeable :$) the please Open a Support Ticket referencing this thread and let the Support Team help you...they are after all experts in this matter.

If and when you undertake the removal then once finished make sure that you run a WSA Scan, making sure that the 'Potentially Unwanted Application' setting in Advanced Settings (right click button top right in main panel then select the 'Scan Settiings' tab from the next panel) is checked.

Well, hope that clarifies a bit what you are dealing with?  Do post back to let us know how you get on/what yo have decided to do in the circumstances.  And of course if Firefox is still not able to connect....as there is still one place to check...but as I suggested before...one issue at a time, eh? ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi AM

As I had some time on my hands I thought I would let you have the other place to check...too.  In this case there are two ways to get to the right panel  but I will give you the quick way...;)

Right click on the WSA sys tray icon (assume that you know what I mean?) and select 'Control Active Processes'.  That should open a panel headed...Active Processes...and then you need to check for firefox.exe in the list of files displayed.  If it is there then check as to whether it is set to 'Block'.  If so then set it to 'Monitor' to begin with (safest option) until you can determine if it is safe of not by navigating to the file path, finding the .exe, right clicking on it and selecting Scan with Webroot, etc.)

Once happy that it is clean you can return and change the setting to 'Allow' but only if.  Both 'Monitor' & 'Allow' will allow a .exe to run but Monitor journals what the .exe does so that in the event of it being determined to be malware/nasty WSA can roll back what it has done on your system.

OK, well, if you don't find firefox.exe in there and you still cannot get it to connect I would then suggest that you uninstall Firefox, reboot and then reinstall it from a fresh installer (FF28 is the latest)...and see if that does the trick.

As I said before...do post back to let us know how you get on. http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/thumb.gif

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 1
Thank you so very much. On my way to work so will do when returning this evening. Thanks again everyone and thank you webroot
Userlevel 7
Hi AM

You are most welcome...as you can see it is very much a team effort. :D

I will feel better as and when you are completely sorted.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Oh my goodness.  Uninstalled select n go from program and features.  Problem went away.  Thank you so very very much.  I would have never been able to resolve this without joining your community.  Thank you for everything.  God Bless
Userlevel 7
Hi AM

So glad to hear that the issue is sorted for you.  Well done. :D That is one of the things that the Community is here to do...so I am glad that we have managed to 'do it' again in your case.

Hope to see you around in the future?

Regards

Baldrick