[Survey] Do you live in the most at-risk state in America?

Userlevel 7
Badge +36

UPDATE: Contest information below!

Nearly 50 percent of Americans don’t use antivirus software

That’s right; something as basic as installing internet security software (which we all know we’re supposed to use) is completely ignored by about half the US. You’d be amazed how common this and other risky online behaviors are. We did a survey of people’s internet habits across the United States, and the numbers aren’t pretty.

For reference, some very common (and very risky) online behaviors include:

• Not using antivirus software
  • Sharing your account passwords
  • Using too-simple passwords, or reusing the same password for multiple accounts
  • Not using an ad or pop-up blocker
  • Opening emails, clicking links, and downloading files from unknown sources
  • Not installing security on mobile devices

What the Riskiest States are Doing Wrong

Stats from the 5 riskiest states (Florida, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, and Illinois):

• Identity theft had little to no impact on their cyber hygiene habits. That means even after learning the consequences first hand, very few people changed their habits.
  • These states had the highest per-person average (28 percent) of having experienced 10+ malware infections in a single year.
  • 50 percent+ of respondents in Florida, Illinois, Montana, and 45 percent of respondents from New Mexico and Wyoming said they don’t use any kind of antivirus or internet security.
  • 47 percent of respondents never back up their data.
  • An average of 72 percent share their passwords.

What the Safest States are Doing Right

The 5 safest states had many behaviors in common that kept them ahead of the malware curve.

• Following cases of identity theft, nearly 80 percent of respondents from the 5 safest states reported that they had altered their online habits, and almost 60 percent changed their passwords.
  • Only 14.4 percent of respondents the safe states experienced 10 or more infections a year.
  • The safest states typically reported running paid-for antivirus/security solutions, rather than freeware, unlike their risky counterparts.
  • Finally, nearly half (43 percent) of the 5 safest states automatically update their operating systems, and 35 percent of respondents regularly back up their data, either on a daily or continuous basis.
  • And of the top 4, password sharing was hardly an issue (88 percent of respondents from those states reported they don’t share passwords at all.)
You may have noticed the survey on the home page of the Community. If not, feel free to take the survey here! Find out which state is the closest match to your cyber hygiene.

Please note that this survey is hosted by a third party, Typeform, SL. (“Typeform”). Your use of the Typeform survey platform will be subject to their Terms and Conditions. Any information you provide in answering the survey questions will be anonymized so that it cannot be used to identify you.

Which state did you line up with? What cyber hygiene habits do you use day-to-day?

Share your thoughts in the comments below! If you do, you might just win one of our famous Webroot Growlers. 

By participating in this promotion, you are agreeing to the Official Rules available via the attachment below.

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +48

https://images.typeform.com/images/jxCjW9E42DcJ/image/default#.png

Nice! I got New Hampshire. How about the rest of you? Share your results with us in the comments! 

Userlevel 7
I got New Hampshire too. :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Nice!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +36

Florida? Really? Kinda surprised but oh well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Whatever? But I did have New Hampshire last night but not this morning. :@

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
Whatever?

Haha, we both got the most vulnerable state, weird.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Whatever?

Yes, all I can say is "Risk this!" 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
I'm a Canadian so I'm very safe! I don't know about my fellow Canadians?
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Whatever?

Yes, all I can say is "Risk this!" :D
Hahaha! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +48
@ wrote:
Staying safe in the Great White North. 

It would be interesting to see the difference between Americans and Canadians. Maybe that's something we could look into for next year!

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Staying safe in the Great White North. 

It would be interesting to see the difference between Americans and Canadians. Maybe that's something we could look into for next year!

Maybe world wide?
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
I like that idea. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +48
First of all, THANK YOU, to everyone who filled out our survey and shared their results with us. For those of you that already have, we've captured your community username and you'll be entered into the drawing for one of our Webroot Growlers! If you win, we'll reach out to you via PM to get your shipping address. 

Thanks! 

Userlevel 3
I was thinking maybe this lined up with higher retired/aging populations, people with money and less technical savvy, but it didn't...

I got one of those cool webroot grownlers a couple ConnectWise user groups ago but I set it down for a sec and someone snagged it off the table.  Was totally bumbed and webroot had left already so I couldn't grab a replacement... hint hint 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
I was thinking maybe this lined up with higher retired/aging populations, people with money and less technical savvy, but it didn't...

I got one of those cool webroot grownlers a couple ConnectWise user groups ago but I set it down for a sec and someone snagged it off the table.  Was totally bumbed and webroot had left already so I couldn't grab a replacement... hint hint ;-)
Oh wow, I would've expected correlation as well. Interesting stuff. Sorry to hear about the stolen growler!
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
New Hampshire as well. With the prevalence of cloud-based data, backup, sharing solutions password managment is key. 
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hah, I guess I need to change my lifestyle.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +6
I got Florida! How the Sam Hill did that happen? lol. Guess I will be reviewing my procedures. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hello everyone,

Took survey and I fall under the lowest risk....CONNECTICUT!!  It must be because I'm protected by the "Shield".
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
Hello everyone,

Took survey and I fall under the lowest risk....CONNECTICUT!!  It must be because I'm protected by the "Shield".
Very nice! I think you're the first person to get Connecticut that I've seen, and it's nice to see you around @!
Userlevel 1
I got Kansas.

Badge +2
Florida seems to be a unlucky place, I'll remember to avoid that place with my technology when I visit America, seems good for a tan though B^)
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I got my home state of Kansas.
I'm pretty sure my score dropped because I don't use a VPN, but that's because I don't do things in places that need a VPN.  My family on the other hand....  They make me cringe.  Worst thing I know that we'd lose is access to Netflix & Hulu, so I'm not super concerned.
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Hey everyone, 

Thanks so much for participating and sharing your results with us. We will be drawing our Growler winners over the next few days so be on the lookout for an update from us soon. 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
I used the random number generator on google and pulled 6 winners out of the 11 that posted. The winners are:

• @
  • @
  • @
  • @
  • @
  • @

If you would like me to send the Growler to you, and your username is listed above, please direct message me your shipping information (do NOT post it here). If you do not wish to claim the prize, let me know and I will redraw for your entry.

Thank you everyone for contributing to the thread!