The Weekly Webroot Digest: 1/12/18

• 12 January 2018
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1376 replies
Welcome to the Weekly Webroot Digest!#HappyFriday

This is a weekly series to highlight the best articles and news stories going on in the Community. 
What was your favorite story? What topics would you like to see? Sound off in the comments! :)

Apple urged to help fight smartphone addiction in youth
Apple responded to an open letter wrote by a couple of its investors asking the tech giant to dramatically improve the parental control features in the iOS operating system to stop iPhone and iPad addiction among teens.

"We think deeply about how our products are used and the impact they have on users and the people around them," said Apple in the statement. "We take this responsibility very seriously and we are committed to meeting and exceeding our customers’ expectations, especially when it comes to protecting kids."

Read Apple's response!

[i]

[/i]

VirusTotal announced the availability of a visualization tool designed to help with investigations
VirusTotal released a new feature this week that allows a user to visualize data associated with a submitted file. Using this tool, a user can easily see information such as the hosts the file connects to, what files it creates, and more. Even better, this new tool is available to all members who have registered for a free account!

Called Graph, VirusTotal explains that this visualization tool can help a user understand the relationship between different data associated with a submitted file.

Check it out for yourself!

[i]

[/i]

New Rules Announced for Border Inspection of Electronic Devices
The U.S. Customs and Border Patrol announced new restrictions on when agents can copy data from digital devices at border crossing points.

Agents now need “reasonable suspicion” in advance of searches of phones, computers, tablets, cameras or any other digital device belonging to people entering or leaving the United States. Border agents will also be restricted from accessing data stored remotely in the cloud.

Get the details!

[i]

[/i]

CoffeeMiner – Hacking WiFi networks to mine cryptocurrencies
The spike in the values of Bitcoin is attracting the interest of crooks that are adopting any method to steal crypto wallets or computational resources from the victims.

A developer named Arnau has published a proof-of-concept project dubbed CoffeeMiner for hacking public Wi-Fi networks to inject crypto-mining code into connected browsing sessions, an ingenious method to rapidly monetize illegal efforts.

Learn more!

[i]

[/i]

LightsOut: Shining a Light On Malicious Flashlight Apps on Google Play
Check Point researchers have detected a new type of adware roaming Google Play, the official app store of Google. Dubbed ‘LightsOut’, the code hid itself in 22 different flashlight and utility apps, and reached a spread of between 1.5 million and 7.5 million downloads. Its purpose? To generate illegal ad revenue for its perpetrators at the expense of unsuspecting users.

Check Point notified Google about all these apps, who promptly removed them from the Google Play store.

Be wary of what apps you download!

What story from the last week the most important for you? We love hearing your feedback! 

0 replies

Be the first to reply!