Webroot Weekly Highlights - 5/4/2018

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
This is a weekly highlight of the best articles and news going on in the Community.

See any stories that catch your interest? What would you like to see in the future? Let us know in the comments below!

Twitter admits to recording plaintext passwords in internal log

Following an internal audit, Twitter admitted today that due to a bug in its password storage mechanism it accidentally logged some users' passwords in internal logs.

Today's disclosure comes after GitHub made a similar announcement earlier this week, describing a similar incident.

Just like in the GitHub incident, the passwords were recorded in Twitter's internal server logs in their plaintext format.

See the full article here.

May the Fourth be with you

It's that time of year again, where Star Wars fans celebrate the very new holiday that has been gaining traction over the past few years, May the Fourth. For those of you unfamiliar, May 4th is a play on words to "May the Force be with you", and as such, has been getting a lot of recognition lately. TIME Magazine is one such entity contributing to the Star Wars fandom, they even added a personality quiz to see which characater you align with the most!

Feel free to take the quiz here!

Phishing alert: GDPR-themed scam wants you to hand over passwords, credit card details

Criminals are attempting to trick consumers into handing over passwords and credit card details by taking advantage of the flood of emails being sent out ahead of new European privacy legislation.

The European Union's new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) come into force on 25 May and the policy is designed to give consumers more control over their online data. As a result, in the run-up to it, organisations are sending out messages to customers to gain their consent for remaining on their mailing lists.

See the full article here.

Join Us at ConnectWise Automation Nation 2018!

Automation Nation is the premier technical event for ConnectWise partners who are seeking to grow their knowledge and actionable expertise, network with like-minded solution providers, and connect with experts and top-rated technology vendors. Enjoy three days of product training and breakout sessions, along with inspiring keynotes and plenty of play, all designed to stimulate success.

Webroot is a Diamond Sponsor of Automation Nation and we would love to meet up with you there! Be sure to stop by and say hello.

Register here.

See what people have been saying about us

• "I have complete trust in Webroot to protect my computer and information. It is an excellent service and the technical support team can't be beat. They're knowledgeable, caring and quick to help out when there's an issue. I highly reccommend Webroot."
  • "Webroot is exceptional protection, very fast, doesn't eat up resources, and I have been an user for 3 years now. If i don't like a product and don't think its the best, i move on. I'm not moving on, because Webroot has proven to be the best for me."
  • "This is one or the best pc and internet security programs I have dealt with. Always catching and suspicious files or hacks. I have used known programs with not so much success and this one is a keeper. Thanks Webroot."

0 replies

Be the first to reply!