Recipe: Mélanie’s Top Secret Crêpes

• 6 November 2017
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
  • Webroot Employee
  • 6 replies
Dear readers, please allow me to introduce the newest member of the Marketing Communications team: Mélanie. As our new project manager, Mélanie is already doing a phenomenal job of making sure our work flows efficiently (and cracking the whip!) Hailing originally from France, she has lived all over the world, and has experienced some pretty interesting culinary adventures. This week, she shared with me her “top secret” recipe for crêpes.

Crêpes are delicious, satisfying, and ever so much more than a mere pancake. They cook up very quickly and are extremely versatile, flavor-wise. Depending on how you serve them, you can eat these little delights for any meal, at any time of day. I think it’s only fair that I share Mélanie’s recipe with you fine folks.

Please note, the batter must be chilled for 2 hours or overnight.

Recipe modified from Mélanie’s recommendations and Julia Child. Picture shamelessly pilfered from Stokes.

Mélanie’s Top Secret Crêpes Recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour[list]
  • 1 1/2 cups milk (2%, not whole, or the crêpe will turn out too thick)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons sugar (omit, if you prefer a more savory crêpe)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (omit, if you prefer a more savory crêpe)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 shot of Grand Marnier (THIS IS KEY)
  • 1/2 cup of lager or light beer (ALSO KEY)
  • Additional butter for cooking
[/list] 
Note: You’ll also need a good iron skillet or crêpe pan, and a flexible metal or plastic spatula.

The Nitty Gritty

1. To make the batter: Place all ingredients in a blender. Cover and blend on high for one minute, or until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. If the flour sticks to sides, scrape it down with a spatula, and blend again for three seconds more. Cover the mixture and refrigerate for two hours or up to overnight.
  2. Preheat your skillet or crêpe pan to medium high heat. Check to make sure the pan is hot enough by flicking a little water inside the pan. If the water sizzles and evaporates quickly, brush the pan lightly with butter or clarified butter, and let it heat until it just begins to smoke.
  3. Remove pan from the heat with your non-dominant hand and use the other to pour about ¼ cup of batter into the middle of the pan. Quickly tilt the pan down and around in a circle so the batter evenly coats the entire bottom of the pan.
  4. Return pan to the heat and cook for 45 to 60 seconds, or until edges of crêpe are golden brown. If you can jiggle the pan back and forth and the crêpe shakes free, you’re exactly where you want to me.
  5. Lift the edge of the crêpe with a spatula and check for a crispy, lightly browned crust. If sufficiently golden brown, gently turn your crêpe over to cook the other side.
  6. Cook the other side for about 15 to 30 seconds more, just until it's barely spotted brown. Slide the cooked crêpe onto a cooling rack and let cool before stacking them on a plate. Grease the skillet again, heat to smoking, and proceed with remaining batter.

Although this recipe will produce more of a sweet, breakfast/dessert crêpe, I find the flavor balances really nicely with cold-cuts or salmon, a bit of cheese or a cream sauce, and some asparagus or herbs.

The sweet route is just as satisfying though, and equally versatile. You can top your crêpes with honey, lemon, marmalade, Nutella, orange butter (Suzette style), fresh fruit, or good old-fashioned cinnamon and powdered sugar.

Serve to your taste! Have a favorite topping or filling? Feel free to share!

0 replies

Be the first to reply!