What city do you live in/near?

• 16 October 2013
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 4
I didn't see anything like this so i'll ask.  What city do you live in/near?  I live about 20 minutes from Fort Worth, Texas where our claim to fame is "Where the West Begins". I moved from Chicago because it was just too cold three months out of the year. :D

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes this is a nice thread! I live in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada and it's about 30 minutes East of Toronto, Ontario!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 4
Cold there Daniel?  we had a 25 to 30 degree drop today with pouring rain now. Went from 75 to 55 in 10 minutes with a sharp NW wind.
Userlevel 7
Rural South Central Kentucky here, about 90 miles south of Louisville, 90 miles north of Nashville TN.  The nearest close by big town is Bowling Green Kentucky, home of the Corvette!
Userlevel 7
I live at the heart of Dhaka. And it's in the Parallel Universe of course.:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I live about 60 miles West of London UK  and about 25 miles from both Salisbury and Winchester as the crow flies.
Userlevel 2
Ah Jasper...  Sounds as though you might live in Wiltshire ~ or thereabouts...  I lived there back in the 1940's up until 1955...  Small village called Dilton Marsh...

Now live in Bournville, Birmingham where the Cadbury chocolate is made...  That's a short distance of about 4643 miles East of Fort Worth ~ or so I'm told... 
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I live in West Berkshire Robinski, near Hungerford but I am very close to Wilshire.
Userlevel 7
I live in Chesapeake, Virginia. (Virginia Beach area)
❤️ ❤️ ❤️ "Virginia is for Lovers" ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ 
Userlevel 5
San Antonio TX
Userlevel 7
Until 2 months ago, I lived in Columbia SC. Now I live in Raleigh NC.

Does that make me more of a Northerner?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I live in Chesapeake, Virginia. (Virginia Beach area)
❤️ ❤️ ❤️ "Virginia is for Lovers" ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ 
I love Virginia Beach! We have a conference almost every year there.

Chicks off of Shore Drive is a great place for seafood.
Userlevel 4
I live in a town but it's near the city of Altoona,PA.
Userlevel 1
My city is Leeds, Yorkshire, about two miles from the Yorkshire County Cricket Club at Headingley. Hurrah for Boycott!
Userlevel 7
I live in a small village not far from Chepstow, on the South Wales side of the 'border'...Croeso i Gymru (or Welcome to Wales...for the uninitiated ;))

Closest Cities are: Newport, in Wales, or Bristol, across the border.
Userlevel 1
Really? We have a Welsh grandson - in that he was born in Wales at Ffaldybrenin (Llanwrda). One of our daughters has a small organic farm there which she runs with her husband. 

I know Chepstow because of the castle - but there again I know most places because of their castles 🙂 One Boxing Day we walked from England to Wales and back aagain - from St Briavel's Castle.
Userlevel 7
Well, it is a small world. ;)

England to Wales and back again - from St Briavel's Castle, eh...quite a walk.  If you are looking for exercise and a great scenic experience I would recommend either Offa's **bleep**, from Chepstow area heading north, or a personal favorite; Chepstow to Monmouth walking along the banks of the Wye...so, so scenic and beautiful.
Userlevel 7
I live in Central Europe 😃
Userlevel 2
Hey Baldrick...

Was that village near Chepstow a place called St Arvans (or something like that) because I was evacuated to that village (from London) soon after the war started, when I was aged about 5 years...  Stayed with a family named Jones, who looked after me well...
Been back a couple of times as an adult, but the elders have long since gone the happy hunting grounds...  One of the children, actually wrote about my being there on the internet...  My grandson found it when he was doing some research into war activities...

Thought it might be worth a mention here...  Hope that's ok...

Robinski...
Userlevel 7
Hi Robinski

Glad you did...just shows what a small world we live in.  Here we are on the Interweb and apart from WSA we have something else in common. :D

St Arvans (your memory is excellent) is just north of Chepstow...about 3 or 4 miles. I live in Portskewett...about 4 miles to the west of Chepstow...but have friends & acquaintences who live there...nice little village. :D

Cofion caredig (Regards)

Baldrick
Userlevel 2
That's interesting Baldrick...  So near and yet: due to the years ~ so far...

My claim to fame where village life was concerned (if one can call it such) was that me and a buddy, crawled under the doors of the blacksmiths work shop (after it had closed) and had fun with some of the tools etc, even trying to rekindle the fire with some of the hot coals and bits of wood...  But we'd been spotted getting in by a neighbour and it wasn't long before we were brought to some form of rough justice...

But hey...  It made life more interesting...

Robinski....
Userlevel 7
Hi Robinski

Indeed, I think that the blacksmith's workshop is still standing...I will have to make a detour and check it out next time I am up that way. ;)

Ahh, those were the days...and now we play with apps & the like rather than propoer old fashioned tools...I suppose that is progress?

Hopefully the justice was not too rough...well, obviously not as you are still here...:D

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 2
If my memory serves me well (it's 70 plus years since we wriggled under the workshop's front doors) that building was on the right hand side of the road, on the way up the high street...  A little further on, there was a turning to the left (leading to the school) with the house where I stayed, being on the right hand side, more of less at that junction...  There was a garage on the right hand side of the house...

Ahhhh...  Those were the days...  Written a story ot two about those times...

Robinski...
Userlevel 1
Sadly I can't walk more than about 100 yards these days because of pain.

Old age would be wonderful if it weren't for the pain ...
Userlevel 3
Yea, I just plain say I live in the state that stands for Idiots Out Wandering Around, it is very boring here and bucky Larson and the crazies made some weird thoughts for people lol
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Yea, I just plain say I live in the state that stands for Idiots Out Wandering Around, it is very boring here and bucky Larson and the crazies made some weird thoughts for people lol
Indiana?  (The license plates used to say "Wander Indiana")

EDIT: Nope.. I am wrong.  I checked your profile and saw.  Well, I had a good guess anyway 🙂