PC - Release Notes - 8.0.4.46, includes updated Cryptolocker protection

• 14 January 2014
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +35
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 831 replies
http://sw.nohold.net/Webroot/Images/wsa_title_image.png

Version 8.0.4.46 (Released January 14th, 2014)
Fixed
  • Delaying the system shutdown on Windows Server 2003.
  • Installing the agent when no user is logged in.
  • Reduced the CPU impact of file infector scanning
Improved
  • Protection against untrusted BHOs.
  • Protection against Cryptolocker.
  • Generic protection against threats attempting to steal user information.
icon

Best answer by MikeR 18 January 2014, 00:41

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +16
I just noticed the announcement on the rolling update to 8.0.4..46 .  Can we get any details as to what exactly the improvements are in regards to Cryptolocker?  I have CryptoPrevent (latest version) installed and 'running' (possibly not the best term as this only changes certain group policies, etc. to prevent Cryptolocker from running successfully on my system) and was just wondering if this was needed anymore and / or what exactly the updated protection does.  Thanks for the information in advance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Great News........................just got it now!
Userlevel 7
Hi Anna

Thanks for the heads up...but any more detail on the "Improved - Protection against Cryptolocker."?  We understand that WSA currently protects from this nasty piece of malware by dint of it journalling the actions of unknown or monitored apps (which can then be used to roll back the actions of the monitored app(s) if and when in the future it/they are deemed to be malicious) so it would be useful to understand how this already outstanding protection has been further improved by the Development Team? :D

Many thanks in anticpation.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi dbrisendine

Hope that you are keeping well?

Great and inquisitive minds think alike...have just posted the same sort of question on the 'Release Notes' section of the Forum. ;) 

For your information, in case you did not know (so apologies for stating the obvious if you did) WSA currently protects from this nasty piece of malware by dint of it journalling the actions of unknown or monitored apps (which can then be used to roll back the actions of the monitored app(s) if and when in the future it/they are deemed to be malicious)...hence my question as to what further improvements have the Development Team added to this already outstanding protection.

Hopefully, from the questions raised by us we will get the answer shortly...either in this or in the other thread. :D

Regards

Baldrick

Moderator edit: Changed title for consistency
Userlevel 4
Badge +16
Baldrick,

I am fully aware of the monitoring / rollback capabilities of Webroot (or at least, the intended design of its protection) and am very satisfied with Webroot's abilities; however, even that may not be enough to restore 100's of personal files once they are encrypted.  I did not think that Webroot copies (or whatever the correct term is) that number of files and can undo the changes from one program / process.  If I'm wrong, then this company is missing the marketing coup of the decade, for I've read that even government agencies have had to pay the ransom in some cases.  :$

Userlevel 7
Hi dbrisendine

My apologies for appearing to 'minimise' your expertise/knowledge of WSA 😳 (when trying to help it is difficult to remember who know what, etc.) so please accept my humble apologies if any offence was given...as honestly none was intended.

I do agree that given what I understand about the journalling capabilities Webroot may well be hiding it's light under a bushel so to speak...hence my interest in the 'improved' capabilities.

Hopefully more information will be forthcoming shortly.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Webroot is now blocking Cryptolocker upfront regardless of what it is determined as in the cloud. We've maintained full security against Cryptolocker and this is an additional layer of protection held locally, just to be safe. 
Userlevel 7
Hi Mike

Thanks for coming back on this one.  Good to know.  Much appreciated.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks Mike!

Cheers,

Daniel 😉