97% of Java Apps Harbor a Known Security Hole

• 18 October 2016
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
We need an alrtenative to Java and have done for a while.

By Robert Hackett  October 18, 2016

Nearly all software applications written in Java, one of the world’s most popular programming languages, contain code that has at least one known security hole, according to a new report from Veracode, a 10-year-old software security firm based in Burlington, Mass.

The vulnerabilities, which vary in severity from mild to critical, affect 97% of Java applications by way of their component parts, the fundamental building blocks of the software, the report said. Components are foundational, atomic bits of code that programmers deploy when developing more complex software, like web apps and tools for big data-processing.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I think an alternative would be something I would like to see. Java has been abused a lot on in the past and still is being abused. Although it will take time for people to hop on the idea of switching from Java. ;)

http://community.webroot.com/html/assets/SigCG.png
Userlevel 7
I don't disagree with the underlying premise of what has been stated here I suspect that the whole thing is being blown up out of all proportion on the basis that how many of us have succumbed to such a vulnerability? Not many I will wager, and why? Because the relevant persons know that there are vulnerabilities and therefore Java is constantly being updated to deal with the vulnerabilities as they occur, etc.

By the underlying premise of needing to replace something thatis vulnerable Windows would be 'dead & buried' and 'something else' (Brrrrrr...scary would be ruling the roost now...which thankfully they are not. 😉