AVG changes privacy policy to harvest users' personal data and sell it to advertisers

• 17 September 2015
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By John Leonard  17 Sep 2015                                                            http://www.computing.co.uk/IMG/702/163702/avg-logo-370x229.jpg?1442511315 Czech Republic-based security software vendor AVG, producer of one of the world's most popular anti-virus software suites, has come under fire over it's privacy policy, which appears to allow it to sell users' data to advertisers.

The policy, which AVG's website says will come into effect in October 2015, has apparently been changed to explicitly allow the collection and sale of personal information relating to browsing history, searches, location and meta-data. Previous policies indicated that the firm only collected browsing data when a person used their their web site as well as information about any malware on the user's machine.

Full Article

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This one is causing a big stir.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
This one is causing a big stir.
So it should do, BUT if they want to kill off any confidence that there users have in them it is there choice. I am sure that Webroot will welcome any new users.
Userlevel 6
At least they are being staright forward about it, have seen some really losely worded EULA's tied to free security products. This is not the only company by far doing this.
Userlevel 7
AVG has for a long time been my quick pick suggestion for people asking me what a good free AV is.  I always tell them a paid AV like WSA is far better, but if they MUST go free, get AVG.

not anymore.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I used to do the same, but they seem to have gone a bit downhill in recent years.
Userlevel 7
http://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/man_peering_over_fence.jpg
AVG has thrown down the gauntlet to other technology companies, challenging the rest of the industry to produce open, truthful privacy policies. AVG has done just that, and you might not like what you read.
The antivirus company has published its own brutally honest privacy policy that clearly sets out how it tracks users' activity, gathers data, and shares that information with others. Unsurprisingly, despite the fact that nothing has changed but merely been brought out in to the open, people are not happy. Is honesty about a disagreeable policy better than living in blissful ignorance?
 The new privacy policy is due to take effect on 15 October and it quite plainly states that user data is collected "to make money". What is collected? Names, email address, phone numbers, SIM numbers, IP addresses, location, device IDs, payment details... the list goes on and on. It goes on and gets a little sinister. AVG will also collect your "browsing and search history, including meta data", and "information regarding other applications you may have on your device and how they are used".

full article
Userlevel 7
To be honest I think that this is just a marketing ploy to try to gain market share...just how do we know how 'honest' honest is...after all we only have their word for it that they are being honest.

Your s faithfully...A. Cynic ;)
Userlevel 7
I have to agree with you, we don't really know if they are being
honest............marketing is the name of the game for sure.
Userlevel 1
Finally Webroot has sold out too.  New privacy policy as of Jan 30 2017, they will sell info to third parties.  And collect personal info to connect up with devices. UGH!! Can't believe no one else is upset by this! And they want $59 to renew my subscription! which I paid $29 for one year ago! I am looking for a new provider.
Userlevel 1
Old Privacy Statement:
We may also share your personal information with other selected third parties, including: ? business partners, suppliers, and subcontractors, who have contractually agreed to keep your information secure and confidential and to use it only for the purpose for which it was supplied, for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you; ? third-party customer support providers; ? advertisers, marketers, and advertising and marketing networks that use the information to select and serve relevant ads to you and others on our site, on other sites, and in apps, as permitted under applicable law and in accordance with your communication preferences; and ? analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our site.
New Privacy Statement:
.Our new WSA Statement explains that we share your personal information with third parties, including analytics providers; service providers; and others who serve purposes consistent with our Statement.
These third parties may associate such personal information with you or your device when you visit websites owned or operated by those third parties.
? Our WSA Statement omits language allowing you to opt out of disclosure of your personal information to third parties as part of a joint sales promotion or for other sales purposes.
? In some cases, we may choose to share your personal information with third parties who have not explicitly agreed to provide the same level of protection to your information as we do. Such sharing will be consistent with our WSA Statement and all applicable laws.
Userlevel 7
@, we appreciate your concern regarding our recently updated privacy policy.

Just to clarify, we do not sell user data to third parties, and we don’t make this claim under any privacy policy. As discussed in our privacy policies, we do share personal data for certain purposes, like order fulfillment (e.g., processing your credit cards) and for analytics (analyzing how the product is working, etc.), but again, we do not sell your user data to third parties.
Finally, we may currently be sending you marketing emails. If you would like to unsubscribe from receiving Webroot’s marketing emails, please let us know and we will take immediate action.

Thank you!