Apple vs FBI court case development.

• 29 March 2016
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

There has bee a development with the dispute between apple and the US Goverment.

The Justice Department has stated that they will be dropping the case against Apple. Rumours have already started to spread saying that the govermenet, has been able to access the data with the help of an israeli mobile software development company called Cellebrite. As a result of this the goverment no longer require the help of Apple. 

Full article here 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Brad,

I just heard this on the news an hour ago. Thanks for that information. Apple is out of it now it looks like.;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hey Sherry 

Yeah it looks like apple has it free for now. I just hope that the rumours about them finding a way around isn't founded. Still makes me feel a bit better. 

Brad

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Well now the FBI knows where to go to crack the iPhones? :@
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Well, they enlisted the help of a a company that offers "mobile forensic solutions" to help law enforcement agencies crack the encryption on smartphones to access data. And after doing so they drop the case against Apple, it seems very, concerning. 

Still. Time will tell I Guess. 

Brad
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Thank you for letting us know ?.
As to if it is a good thing or not I don't know, it could be a double edged sword.
Yes people may think they have less privacy but on the other hand, just assume your family are out somewhere and there is a terrorist action and you lose everyone and then at a later date find out that if that phone HAD been hacked your family could have been saved, how would you or in fact anyone feel?
I don't think the case of privacy as in mobile devices due to terrorism is an open and shut case, maybe more worrying is the point that if the FBI had been given access, how far would they abuse the knowledge.
It is a tough one to answer and we will have to see how it all plays out in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
FBI: "never mind, we figured it out"
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
:D ROFL Nic!
Userlevel 7
Apparently, one school of thought is that they managed to download the encrypted Flash memory which then allowed them to use brute force techniques...after it is just a numeric code...without the risk of triggering the automatic lock out feature that safeguards iPhones against just that sort of attack.

Just conjecture but it might explain the apparent 'success'?