As Plugins Disappear Browsers Gain Security, Lose Functionality

• 21 February 2016
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7

By Robert Lemos  |  Posted 2016-02-20

Oracle's Java plugin is the latest to fall, as browser developers look to simplify their code bases to improve security.
In late January, Oracle announced that the company would stop supporting its ubiquitous Java plugin, which would be, in developer terminology, "deprecated" in the next version of the Java software development kit, slated for release in 2017.

The announcement comes not as a surprise but a recognition of a trend among browser developers toward removing the ability of third parties to add code—and potentially security flaws to their software and users' systems. Attackers have often exploited vulnerabilities in the two most popular plugins—Java and Adobe's Flash, building attacks into popular hacking tools known as exploit kits.

full article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Well, to be honest I have nothing against plugin & addons for browswers. I have yet to come across a malformed one of one that has been corrupted for nefarious purposes.

Now, perhaps I am lucky or perhaps I have just taken care as to what I click on/allow to be added to my system but to be honest where there is a debate between plugin & loss of functionality I will always go with plugin, unless there is an alteranove way, in HTML5, to achieve the same of comparable functionality.

Regards, Baldrick