Chrome finally kills off the HTTP-HTTPS “mixed content” warning

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

That slightly alarming and not wholly useful yellow triangle is finally being retired.

by Sebastian Anthony - Oct 14, 2015

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/10/dubious-as-neutral-640x338.png
                            The new Chrome security states in version 46. Goodbye, odd yellow triangle.

In the new version of Chrome, which should be rolling out to everyone today, the "mixed content" warning—that mysterious little yellow "caution triangle" in the address bar—will finally be removed. Instead, sites with a mix of HTTP and HTTPS content will show a normal, grey piece of paper, as if it's a regular HTTP-only website.

Full Article

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks Jasper. I don't use Chrome but would be interested to hear how this website shows up in Chrome.

I use Firefox and it has always shown a gray triangle with a white exclamation mark just before the https:/community.webroot.com/

It goes on to say that the connection is only partially encrypted.
As of now, when using Chrome, Webroot Community pages display the "mixed content" warning that Jasper refers to. (grey lock, yellow triangle). Clicking the lock gives a pop-up warning that some of the content is not encrypted.

This should change sometime today.
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks BD - same as Firefox then.:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Thanks Jasper. I don't use Chrome but would be interested to hear how this website shows up in Chrome.

I use Firefox and it has always shown a gray triangle with a white exclamation mark just before the https:/community.webroot.com/

It goes on to say that the connection is only partially encrypted.
Yes I use FF and I get the same gray triangle since forever!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks ? 

Has always struck me as odd that we don't get the green padlock. Mind you it not there either on the main webroot.com page!

Nemo
@ wrote:

Has always struck me as odd that we don't get the green padlock. Mind you it not there either on the main webroot.com page!

Just wanted to add that the green lock DOES show when on "my.webrootanywhere.com." when accessing your console/Backup & Sync.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thta's correct ?...this has always been strange to me as well :@and I've never mentioned it before until I read your post. So now what? LOLs
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Was just wondering ? if it's worth putting in as a Feature Request. It's not strictly anything to do with the software but when the website selling the product doesn't have the padlock, it might put off a few potential customers. There is probably a good  resaon why it's the way it is - but it would be nice to know what that might be.

Nemo

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ?,

I don't really see why not. It sounds like a good Feature Request to me so go for it. It wouldn't do any harm and then all of us could respond and kudo the idea and see it anything comes forth.:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
The deed is done ?

If nothing else, we should find out the reasoning behind the decision to have it the way it is.

Nemio
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
?

Looks like ? has satisfied me with his response in the Feature Request. So Thank you for submitting that!;)