Clear April 12: Windows, Samba to splat curious 'crucial' Badlock bug

• 22 March 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

See you then, SMB file server admins

22 Mar 2016 at 18:50, Team Register

April 12 – save the date if you're a Windows or Samba file server administrator.

Stefan Metzmacher, a Samba core developer, has discovered what sounds like a pretty bad security bug, and he says it will be patched on that day next month.

The vulnerability already has everything it needs to make a big splash: a name, Badlock; a website, and a logo. Here's what we know from the site:

Full Article

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56

Badlock Bug

http://badlock.org/badlock.pngOn April 12th, 2016 a crucial security bug in Windows and Samba will be disclosed. We call it: Badlock.
Engineers at Microsoft and the Samba Team are working together to get this problem fixed. Patches will be released on April 12th.
Admins and all of you responsible for Windows or Samba server infrastructure: Mark the date. (Again: It's April 12th, 2016.)
Please get yourself ready to patch all systems on this day. We are pretty sure that there will be exploits soon after we publish all relevant information.

? will love this.

Full Story
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks Jeff I did look around but I guess not long enough. :S
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Thanks Jeff I did look around but I guess not long enough. :S
I am too quick for you Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
This upcoming ❤️Patch Tuesday❤️ will be interesting.

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
This upcoming ❤️Patch Tuesday❤️ will be interesting.

Indeed, Dave...I can hardly wait...NOT...given what a recent update did to the Security Centre notifications. :(

Let's hope that our fears do not materialise.