Companies becoming lax in managing BYOD risk

• 24 September 2014
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Despite all the breaches and all the warnings this is the sort of thing which customers and or regulators will not take lightly if a breach can be put down to incompetance like this.

Posted on 24 September 2014.Exposure to risk is as much of a threat today as it was in 2013; however, organizations have become less diligent in BYOD management and mitigation, according to TEKsystems.

Seventy-two percent of IT professionals believe that sensitive company data is at risk due to employees accessing information from personal devices.

Nearly two-thirds of respondents (64 percent) state that either no official BYOD policy exists at their organizations and/or nothing at all has been communicated about BYOD. This has increased by 21 percent from 2013, when 43 percent identified the same lack of guidelines and best practices.

Despite the fact that mobile devices provide IT professionals with greater flexibility, they also heighten stress and extend the workday. Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 2

• When asked about their morning routine, 28 percent of IT professionals confess that the first thing they do when they wake up is check their mobile device—even before using the bathroom.

I'm not an IT pro, and I laughed at this...until I realized that I differ from these guys only in that I check my laptop--not my mobile--first thing when I wake up! :$

I found the increase in laxity reported here surprising enough to make me curious about the survey mechanics. Found this is a related article:

The report was conducted by information security industry leader Ponemon Institute. The comprehensive report is based on 618 respondents who implement enterprise security, manage mobile technologies and platforms, and set mobile strategy. Fifty-seven percent of respondents identified themselves as senior executives/managers.

The report itself acknowledged these potential biases, inherent to web-based survey research:

Non-response bias: The current findings are based on a sample of survey returns. We sent
surveys to a representative sample of individuals, resulting in a large number of usable returned
responses. Despite non-response tests, it is always possible that individuals who did not
participate are substantially different in terms of underlying beliefs from those who completed the
instrument.
Sampling-frame bias: The accuracy is based on contact information and the degree to which the
list is representative of individuals who are IT or IT security practitioners. We also acknowledge
that the results may be biased by external events such as media coverage. We also acknowledge
bias caused by compensating subjects to complete this research within a holdout period.
Self-reported results: The quality of survey research is based on the integrity of confidential
responses received from subjects. While certain checks and balances can be incorporated into
the survey process, there is always the possibility that a subject did not provide a truthful
response.

I was surprised to see how much growth is expected in personal mobile device use in the next year. I hope to see the results again if the survey is repeated next year.

Thanks, Jasper.