DEA agent steals woman's identity and photos to lure in suspects on Facebook

• 8 October 2014
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
by Lisa Vaas on October 8, 2014

The US government is claiming that an agent had the right to set up a Facebook account and to impersonate a young woman using information it swiped from her seized mobile phone after she was arrested.
The woman, Sondra Arquiett (spelled in some court documents as Arquiette), was surprised when a friend asked her about photos she was posting on her Facebook page.
One showed her with her legs open, posed on the hood of a BMW; another was of her clad only in underwear; another one showed her face-down on the BMW, legs nonchalantly crossed in the air above her butt, captioned with this comment:
At least I still have this car!

Full Article

10 replies

Userlevel 7
This is called a "sting operation" or entrapment. DEA believes they have the right by law to due this, to lure suspects in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This story is outrageous.  I hope the DEA gets punished for this one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I can see justification for using fake accounts, and I'm sure they do, but to use the identity of a real account holder (guilty or otherwise), is way beyond acceptabiliy. The law seems to regard themselves as above the law. Terrible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
I can see justification for using fake accounts, and I'm sure they do, but to use the identity of a real account holder (guilty or otherwise), is way beyond acceptabiliy. The law seems to regard themselves as above the law. Terrible.

I agree totally Nic and Dermot, it is terrible and they should be punished.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
 Federal prosecutors are reviewing an incident in which a Drug Enforcement Agency created a counterfeit Facebook profile and posted risqué personal pictures the agency obtained from a female suspect's mobile phone without her consent.

Feds reviewing DEA policy of counterfeiting Facebook profiles | Ars Technica
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Glad to hear this is being investigated further.
Userlevel 7
But what is the betting that the whole thing gets 'buried'...things like this usually do...regardless of the public interest.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
But what is the betting that the whole thing gets 'buried'...things like this usually do...regardless of the public interest.
I strongly suspect that will happen here Baldrick.
It does however make me wonder how much it has gone on in the past, I cannot imagine it is the first time and if it causes too much of an outcry a can of worms may be opened.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Facebook has bluntly told the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration to stop using phony accounts and posing as real people in its investigations.
The company’s rebuke, delivered Friday in a sharply critical letter to the law enforcement agency, comes after BuzzFeed News disclosed that a DEA agent had created a bogus Facebook account, impersonated an upstate New York woman, and posted racy photos of her and an image of her young son from her seized cell phone — all without her knowledge. The agent used the account to contact suspected criminals.
Lawyers from the U.S. Department of Justice have defended the agent’s actions in court filings. But Facebook strongly disagreed.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrishamby/facebook-rebukes-dea-for-impersonating-woman-online#3k75ud5
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
And after all of this time here is the result.

$134,000 fine is anything but fine22nd January 2015  By Dave Neal  http://www.theinquirer.net/IMG/426/309426/facebook-mobile-indonesia-270x167.jpg?1421923975THE US DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE (DoJ) will pay $134,000 to a woman who was the victim of a spoof Facebook page that featured her in varying states of dress.
The fine relates to a case from 2010 when a waitress called Sondra Arquiett was arrested as part of a drugs bust.
The BBC reports that Arquiett complained after she realised that images, including some with her in short shorts, had been posted online by a third party.
She sued the government for its actions and the DoJ set about considering it. The DoJ has admitted what it did, but has not accepted that it acted improperly.
"[a] review is ongoing, but DoJ leadership has already met with law enforcement agencies to make clear the necessity of protecting the privacy and safety of third parties in every aspect of our criminal investigations," said a spokesperson to the BBC.

Full Article