Data-Stealing Mac OS X Backdoor Uncovered

• 7 September 2016
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By Chris Brook September 7, 2016

Researchers on Wednesday confirmed that an OS X variant of a recently discovered family of cross-platform backdoors exists.

Stefan Ortloff, a researcher with Kaspersky Lab’s Global Research and Analysis Team, identified the family of backdoors called Mokes in January, but it wasn’t until Tuesday that an OS X variant was discovered. Ortloff wrote a technical breakdown of the backdoors, including the Linux and Windows iterations and the new OS X variant, in a series of posts on Securelist.

Similar to the Linux and Windows variants, the OS X backdoor specializes in capturing audio and taking screenshots every 30 seconds from a victim’s machine.

The variant, Backdoor.OSX.Mokes.a, can also monitor removable storage—such as whether a USB thumb drive is connected to the machine, and can also monitor the file system for Office documents such as .docx, .doc, .xlsx, and .xls files.

Full Article

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Thanks Jasper, looks like I'll be looking for another patch on the Mac soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes thank you Jasper. I'm going to have a lot of patches to update my Mac .....now waiting for this one too. 
Userlevel 7
Well, that is not good from the crowd Cupertino way...would have thought that they would be better than this, given all the noise they make about being better than the Redmond crew. Looks like they still have some lessons to learn. ;)
Userlevel 7
Yeah, Apple better get on the ball here with their security for their computers since there is probably a big shift of people jumping ship from Windows because of business trickery, and everyone has to admit it was trickery. I believe Apple better get use to this sort of thing happening. 😉