Data breach hits 15,000 online users of UK childbirth charity

• 8 April 2016
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

National Childbirth Trust tells expectant parents that their financial details are safe.

by Kelly Fiveash - Apr 8, 2016

Thousands of usernames, passwords, and e-mail addresses have been stolen by hackers who compromised the servers of a UK childbirth charity.

On Thursday, the National Childbirth Trust apologised to more than 15,000 expectant parents whose data had been breached.

The org, which first spotted that something was wrong on Wednesday—on the same day that users were unable to access its website, said that it had informed the police, and the UK's Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) about the breach.

Registration details of an unknown number of the charity's users were compromised in the attack on the NCT's systems, a spokesperson told the BBC, who added:

Full Article

7 replies

Userlevel 7
These breaches just don't stop its a epidemic for sure.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
All I can say is this is certainly a big blow for these families to have all their information bearched.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
All I can say is this is certainly a big blow for these families to have all their information bearched.
It is a good charity for young parents to be, we went to pre-natal classes with them and they were very helpful with information.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
It is a good charity for young parents to be, we went to pre-natal classes with them and they were very helpful with information.
Really Jasper? This is so sad isn't it? :(Makes me madder and madder the more I think about it..
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Really Jasper? This is so sad isn't it? :(Makes me madder and madder the more I think about it..
It does me as well, the hackers don't care who they hit as long as they get someone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
It does me as well, the hackers don't care who they hit as long as they get someone.
This is so true! NO heart what so ever..no conscience
Userlevel 7
To be honest I suspect that there has been no real increase other than in the coverage that this sort of thing is getting in the hands of the continually over sensationalising press who will do anything for a story.

Sure, these breaches are not a good thing and need to be publicised...but I think that this can be done with a little more calmness and appropriateness.