Don't fall for phone phishing scams

• 3 August 2014
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Comment: Be cautious on these phoney scam calls and whom their coming from.
=================================================================================================
By Joe Wilcox/ Posted on 8/2/2014

http://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/stock-broker-panic-phone-600x398.jpg
Yesterday, I received an automated call from Barclays Bank warning about suspicious purchases. The number: 877-935-2427. The message asked for the card number to proceed. This morning, my wife received a call from 800-888-8804 indicating our AT&T account had been breached and asking to provide the last four digits of her social security number. We don't have accounts with either company.
Both calls phished for personal information -- something I'm used to by email but not to our cell phones. The proximity -- less than a day apart -- and the first of them ever disturbs me. I don't recall receiving these kinds of bogus calls before. To be clear: You should never give out personal information to automated systems. When there is a legitimate security breach, the service provider will ask for verification information already on file, not request account numbers or any portion of a social security number.
 The first one might have suckered me, had I a Barclays account, because it played into typically bad customer service. I missed the call and rang back as instructed -- mostly out of curiosity -- and couldn't proceed at all. I wanted to talk to someone. The system requested the card number, even to talk to a representative, and disconnected when none was given. I cursed about typically bad customer phone systems then stopped -- realizing my stupidity. The card number was a gimme to someone else!

betanews/ Full Article Here/ http://betanews.com/2014/08/02/dont-fall-for-phone-phishing-scams/

8 replies

Userlevel 7
The following article is a update on scam calls
=================================================================================================
(UAE TRA warns of scam calls)

By  Mark Sutton Published  August 3, 2014

The UAE Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRA) has warned of a recent spate of scam calls in the country, which tried to get users to hand over personal data.

The callers pretended to be calling from one of the UAE's two telephone operators, and attempted to get victims to hand over bank account data and other important personal information, including passwords for email and social networks.

itp.net/ Full Article Here/ http://www.itp.net/599236-uae-tra-warns-of-scam-calls
Userlevel 6
One would think that by now, with all the publicity, people would be a bit more vigilant. The calls are usually made with a dialer program and there is a delay before hearing the scammer on the other end.

Unfortunately the elderly tend to forget, many are lonely and enjoy hearing a friendly voice.

The Do Not Call Registry is useless, making a complaint does not result in much help either.

So many of these calls come from foreingn countries which makes it even more difficult.

This reminds me of the strange text message I got from a 25363827 number. it said my bank account has been locked due to suspicious activities and to call a different phone number to speak with the bank's security department. The problem was, I didn't have an account with the bank.
I just found out that this scammer has been contacting a lot of others, too. This thread http://www.callercenter.com/25363827.html contains the complaints posted by others.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You can report spam texts:
http://lifehacker.com/forward-spam-text-messages-to-7726-to-report-them-1257920045

I can't believe people still fall for these crooks! NEVER NEVER give info on phone. I also call or email the company and let them know someone is running a scam using thier name.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I can't believe people still fall for these crooks! NEVER NEVER give info on phone. I also call or email the company and let them know someone is running a scam using thier name.
Welcome to the community!  That is exactly right - when you call a company they verify that you are who you say you are, so when a company calls you, the same philosophy applies.  Make sure you're talking to who you think you are!
BEWARE OF THIS SCAM REFERENCING THE IRS!

Earlier this week I received a pre-recorded call from an individual claiming to be John White of the IRS (567.251.0057).  The prefix is assigned to Toledo, OH but could actually be rerouted to anywhere in the world.  I received this same call multiple times over a 3-day period.  The recorded message claimed to be for "you" (it didn't define me or anyone else residing with me by name) and its intent was to alert "you" of a lawsuit filed against "you" by the IRS. 

Having dealt with the IRS on several different levels in the past I immediately smelled something fishy.  First, the IRS does nearly everything through snail mail.  Second, the IRS almost never calls anyone unless you have placed a call to them and have asked them to return your call.  Lastly, the IRS seldom files civil lawsuits without first giving you an opportunity to resolve the issue.

Since no one living here has been previously advised by the IRS that there are matters pending with them neither of us chose to return the call.  I don't know exactly what type of personal info they would be phishing for but I presume it's the usual.  If you get this call BEWARE!  If you choose to call this number and toy with Mr. White please update this post with the details of his phishing scam.