Fake security messages more believable than real warnings research shows

• 14 January 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Cambridge University researchers reveal why people believe malicious, fake security messages and ignore real warnings.

How do you react to the following warning when it pops up on your screen?

I have yet to find a person who always obeys the above warning, but the warning below has proven very effective, even though it's a complete fake. Why?

This is a question two University of Cambridge researchers try to answer in their paper, Reading This May Harm Your Computer: The Psychology of Malware Warnings. Professor David Modic and Professor Ross Anderson, authors of the paper, took a long hard look at why computer security warnings are ineffective.

Warning message overload

The professors cite several earlier studies which provide evidence that users are choosing to ignore security warnings. I wrote about one of the cited studies authored by Cormac Herley, where he argues:

•     The sheer volume of security advice is overwhelming.
  •     The typical user does not always see the benefit from heeding security advice.
  •     The benefit of heeding security advice is speculative.
The Cambridge researchers agree with Herley, mentioning in this blog post:

"We're constantly bombarded with warnings designed to cover someone else's back, but what sort of text should we put in a warning if we actually want the user to pay attention to it?"

I can't think of a better example of what Herley, Anderson, and Modic were referring to than my first example: the "site's security certificate is not trusted" warning.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
HI Jasper

Thanks for sharing...so interesting...and who would have believed that, eh?  Not me for one...until you posted.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
It was a bit surprising but interesting. Easy to see how some people fall for them.