Google Won't Trust Symantec and Neither Should You

• 19 April 2017
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
19th April 2017  By Mike Baukes

As bad as this controversy is for Symantec, the real damage will befall the company and individual web sites deemed untrustworthy by a Chrome browser on the basis of a rejected Symantec certificate.
 News that Google may be imposing a series of restrictions in Chrome against digital certificates issued by Symantec is but the latest and most remarkable salvo in a dispute that stretches back years. Google is leveraging its prominence to force companies to confront their cyber risk - a vital advance in fostering proactive digital resilience. How Symantec responds will have relevance far beyond any one corporate conflict.

Claiming Symantec was far too lax and borderline negligent in issuing its certificates, Google recently announced it would begin gradually rejecting them, as well as any authorities tied to the Symantec root certificates. Any certificate authorities that derive their key chain from Symantec’s root will also face the same restrictions; some major names fall into this category, such as VeriSign and Thawte.

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Well, a clear case of the kettle calling the pot black IMHO. Personally I would trust Google far, far less than I would trust Symantec...but that is only if I were forced to have to chose between them...otherwise in my book BOTH are suspect. ;)