“Gooligan” Android Malware Compromised 1 Million Google Accounts

• 30 November 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Learn how to clean a phone and check your account for signs of hacks using tools provided by Google and Check Point

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/fitted/340x180/gooligan-android-malware-compromised-1-million-google-accounts.jpg

Nov 30, 2016 17:33 GMT  ·  By Bogdan Popa  Security experts at Check Point have discovered a new very aggressive form of Android malware that already compromised no less than 1 million Google accounts and which can infect approximately 74 percent of the Android phones currently on the market.

The firm warns that the malware which they call Gooligan is injected into a total of 86 Android apps that are delivered through third-party marketplaces (you can check the full list of apps in the box at the end of the article). Once installed, these apps root the phone to get full access to the device and then attempt to deploy malicious software which can be used to steal authentication tokens for Google accounts.

Full Article

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Android...compromised again...just when will Google knuckle down and start sorting out what is a massive issue for Android. If this were from Microsoft Google would be all over the press lambasting them for failure...strange, I hear nothing????
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By Matt Elliott  December 1, 2016

The Gooligan malware attack targeting Android devices has infected more than a million Google accounts and growing by 13,000 new users a day. It affects devices running Android 4 (Jelly Bean, KitKat) and Android 5 (Lollipop), according to Check Point.

Gooligan spreads via apps from third-party app stores and malicious links in phishing attack messages. It downloads a rootkit to steal authentication tokens to breach data from Google Play, Gmail, Google Photos, Google Docs, G Suite, Google Drive and other programs. It also installs app that can steal your account information to post fake ratings and reviews to raise the profile of these apps.

Has your account been compromised? It’s easy to check to find out.

Full Article
Userlevel 7
Thanks for sharing, Jasper! Here's some info I found on the matter and a pretty helpful infographic as well :robothappy:

The “Gooligan” hackers infected 13,000 phones on average each day.

Hackers have in a matter of months compromised more than 1 million Google accounts as part of a lucrative fraudulent advertising scheme involving malicious app downloads, according to a new report by Check Point Software Technologies, an Israeli cyber security firm.

Click here for the full Article from Fortune.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you ...Jasper and JP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Thank you, I am in the clear as well.