Has Dell been hacked? Users report plague of scam 'IT support' calls

• 5 January 2016
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
05 Jan 2016 By Graeme Burton

http://www.computing.co.uk/IMG/013/269013/scam-alert-370x229.jpg?1434690280

Users of Dell computers are questioning whether the company has been hacked after claiming that they have been targeted in scam phone calls from fraudsters who, they say, could only have obtained information from Dell.

Online message board complaints indicate that a campaign of scam IT support calls targeting Dell customers has been ongoing for six months or more. Bloggers have even suggested that Dell is aware that it has been hacked.

Full Article

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
I'm a Dell user and i don't leave my details on their servers anywhere. I know how to get my drivers without leaving my service tag on their system and deffinitely i don't use that dell system update tool at all. On some systems i even went as far as to remove the service tag from the bios ( no i'm not telling how i did and all my machines are out of warranty anyhow so for that it doesn't matter either )
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'm a Dell user as well since 2001 😠 But I always remove there crapware support junk and I even do a clean reinstall of Windows and download the drivers and install them and that's it.

Dell Has Been Hacked, and Scammers Have Its Customer Database

http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/01/05/dell-has-been-hacked-and-scammers-have-its-customer-database/

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Oh No this doesn't sound good at all!!:@ This should be posted on FB! At least we know this is happening but  there's not much we can do about it either!
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Oh No this doesn't sound good at all!!:@ This should be posted on FB! At least we know this is happening but  there's not much we can do about it either!
It is now on MY FB Timeline Sherry. I thought I had done that last night actually but I must have forgotten with everything else going on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
It is now on MY FB Timeline Sherry. I thought I had done that last night actually but I must have forgotten with everything else going on.

Thanks Jasper. I will hit the "share" button!;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Dell customers harassed by tech support scammers

Jan 10, 2016 22:05 GMT  ·  By Catalin Cimpanu                                                    http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/fitted/340x180/dell-has-a-severe-tech-support-scam-problem.jpg After ruining Microsoft's reputation for years, and recently also targeting Apple customers, tech support scammers have started picking on Dell's customers with a voracious appetite.

During the past year, tens of Dell customers have started reporting being picked on by aggressive tech support scammers that were calling them about their Dell laptops and computers.

Unlike typical tech support scams that rely on ads and scareware, or hunt tech support forums for victims, these particular individuals were calling Dell customers that previously had a problem with their laptop in the past, as 10ZenMonkeys reports.

Full Article
Userlevel 7
I have a Dell laptop but so far no calls from scammers, Dell is popular so as this thread stated the hackers are focusing on them.