Health Insurer Anthem Hit by Hackers

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Anthem Inc., the country’s (USA) second-biggest health insurer, said hackers broke into a database containing personal information for about 80 million of its customers and employees in what is likely to be the largest data breach disclosed by a health-care company.

Investigators are still determining the extent of the incursion, which was discovered last week, and Anthem said it is likely that “tens of millions” of records were stolen. The health insurer said the breach exposed names, birthdays, addresses and Social Security numbers but doesn’t appear to involve medical information or financial details such as credit-card or bank-account numbers, nor are there signs the data are being sold on the black market.

Anthem, which offers Blue Cross Blue Shield plans in California, New York and other states, said it doesn’t know precisely how many people may be affected. So far, it appears that the attack detected last week is the only breach of Anthem’s systems, and it isn’t yet clear how the hackers were able to obtain the identification information needed to access the database said Thomas Miller, the insurer’s chief information officer. The insurer said it would reach out to everyone whose information was stored in the hacked database with a letter and, where possible, email. It is also setting up an informational website and will offer to provide a credit-monitoring service.

Full Article

66 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
As far as I know, this is the single largest breach to date, right?
Userlevel 7
This is some breaking hacking news for sure. All the major news publications are reporting the story and we'll definitely monitor for updates to the story. Here's another detailed report from LA Times: 

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-anthem-hacked-20150204-story.html

(Source: Associated Press) 

Userlevel 4
Hi....  Just found out last night that my husband and i may have been among those who were hit.  Does anyone have any advice on what i can do to protect ourselves if we were among the ones losing information?

I am running Webroot and iPassword.  Would it be advisable to change passwords on all accounts that involve money?  Is it necessary to check balances every day on certain entities such as retirement accounts?  

I'm sorry....never had this happen before to us, so I'm trying to find out from you guys since you're much more knowledgeable about computers than I am.  Just looking for suggestions if there are any things I can do to help protect our accounts.  Tnx!

Seriously unhappy.  >:-(
Jan
Userlevel 7
This hit home as I and my wife have this insurance as secondary. I received a email this morning from the CEO of Anthem explaining the hack and what they are doing to protect me and everyone else.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It doesn't look like credit card numbers were stolen, so you don't have to get new cards.  You can contact the credit rating agencies and put a credit freeze on your accounts.  This makes it so that no new accounts can be created under your name without you calling in to authorize it, since the data thieves made off with SSNs and other data that would allow them to impersonate you for credit checks.

Anthem has also put up a website announcing that they'll be giving you free credit monitoring services to hopefully catch any fraud:
http://www.anthemfacts.com/
They've got a number you can call for any questions:
1-877-263-7995

Hope that helps and sorry that you were affected!

As to the passwords, most likely you would only need to change any associated with Anthem, unless you re-use the same password everywhere, in which case you'll want to change your passwords.
Userlevel 4
Antus67......  Sorry to hear you were hit, too.  We haven't received any emails....yet.
Userlevel 7
Thank you for the concern will have to sit tight till Anthem sends a following up letter on the steps to take to secure all data.
Userlevel 4
Nic....  

My husband wakes up in the night frequently and checks his iPhone for news when he does, so when he read it in the middle of the night, I got on the computer and went to the site with the info.  Tnx for posting, though, and I did bookmark it.

I tried accessing our Anthem accounts last night and was told I have the wrong username/password combinations.  I've had this happen before, so even I can't use them to get into our accounts.  Not sure if they shut them all down or it's just another time I've had trouble accessing the account.  I cannot BELIEVE Anthem did not have our information encrypted!

As for passwords, I don't use the same password for any two accounts, and make them long and use symbols, plus I use 1Password, which encrypts the passwords.  I think I'll change my main 1Password password and maybe a few others that are connected to money accounts of any type.  

Thank you for the info on freezing credit agencies.  I'll turn that over to my husband to deal with.  He's also changing his email password....he only has one.  ;-)  i guess the main concern at the moment is identity theft, so we'll take your advice on the credit agencies.  I'm just ticked off that some people are such jerks who steal other people's money, time, and lives.  Tnx again!  And good luck to everyone affected!

Jan
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Nic....  

My husband wakes up in the night frequently and checks his iPhone for news when he does, so when he read it in the middle of the night, I got on the computer and went to the site with the info.  Tnx for posting, though, and I did bookmark it.

I tried accessing our Anthem accounts last night and was told I have the wrong username/password combinations.  I've had this happen before, so even I can't use them to get into our accounts.  Not sure if they shut them all down or it's just another time I've had trouble accessing the account.  I cannot BELIEVE Anthem did not have our information encrypted!

As for passwords, I don't use the same password for any two accounts, and make them long and use symbols, plus I use 1Password, which encrypts the passwords.  I think I'll change my main 1Password password and maybe a few others that are connected to money accounts of any type.  

Thank you for the info on freezing credit agencies.  I'll turn that over to my husband to deal with.  He's also changing his email password....he only has one.  ;-)  i guess the main concern at the moment is identity theft, so we'll take your advice on the credit agencies.  I'm just ticked off that some people are such jerks who steal other people's money, time, and lives.  Tnx again!  And good luck to everyone affected!

Jan
They may have automatically expired all the passwords as a precaution.  Can you try the "forgot password" link on their site?  Good idea on changing your main 1Password password - that's always a good thing to do from time to time anyway.
Userlevel 4
Hadn't thought of that, Nic. Some sites I don't visit often and I have wondered if they expire passwords because they haven't been used in a certain period of time. I didn't try "forgot password" last night. If it's not working for me, maybe it won't work for the hackers, so decided to sit on it for the moment. Besides, they're warning Anthem may be hit again. As for changing passwords, I do that for all my sites when I get some time and am in the mood. This time, it will be because I'm in a bad mood. &#x;
Userlevel 7
Hi Jan:
I called one the the credit agency called Expedrian they offer free fraud alert for 90 days there phone number is 1-224-698-5600
Userlevel 7
I spoke to my credit card company they referred me to Exedrian to obtain a 90 day free fraud alert. I am told by law Anthem is liable for 1 year on identity theft. I believe they will be offering this service to us that have been compromised.
Userlevel 7
To all of our member or   guests that have Anthem Blue Shield I've been on the phone with Experian to repeat once again they proved a free service fraud alert for 90 days. You can also apply for their identity theft which you pay for but.......... Anthem is going to provide that service for free.
   Here is Experian web site: http://www.experian.com/corporate/experian-community.html?numrec=5

Contact Phone numbers; 1-224-698-5600  or 1-714-830-7000 or 1 888 397 3724
Userlevel 4
Antus67.... I really appreciate the information. I'll turn the numbers over to my husband as he works with credit rating agencies in his job. Just changed my 1Password password. One thing at a time. Thank you! Jan
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
A lot of this commom sense but it will do no harm to have a reminder.

by Shannon Pettypiece To the 80 million customers of Anthem Inc. whose personal information was stolen by hackers, security experts offer this advice: Keep a close eye on your medical-claims statements.

Identity thieves use plundered health-plan data to run up large bills in the victims’ names. Anthem disclosed yesterday that names, birth dates, Social Security numbers, medical IDs, street and e-mail addresses and employee information including income levels were stolen in one of the biggest data breaches of a U.S. company.

Identity theft may not have been the main goal of the breach. Federal and private-sector investigators are pursuing evidence that points to Chinese state-sponsored hackers who are stealing personal data from health-care companies to seek information on the personal lives of defense contractors, government workers and others, according to three people familiar with the probe. Still, the information of tens of millions of others has been compromised and can’t be considered safe.

Full Article
Userlevel 4
Well, this has been a bucket of fun!  Not done yet, but changed all major passwords, including the ones at Anthem, and intend to check in on Anthem daily, will freeze credit company accounts later today, and hope for the best. 

Wanted to thank everyone who contributed information and kept me updated through the day.  I found you guys just in time!  Wishing everyone well.

Jan
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
This as Brian Krebs states is as yet still unconfirmed althought the FBI statement last week is interesting because it did warn of an attack.

6th February 2015.

Bloomberg reports that U.S. federal investigators probing the theft of 80 million Social Security records and other sensitive data from insurance giant Anthem Inc. are pointing the finger at state-sponsored hackers from China. Although unconfirmed, that suspicion would explain a confidential alert the FBI circulated last week warning that Chinese hackers were targeting personally identifiable information from U.S. commercial and government networks.

According to this story from Bloomberg’s Michael Riley and Jordan Robertson, “the attack appears to follow a pattern of thefts of medical data by foreigners seeking a pathway into the personal lives and computers of a select group — defense contractors, government workers and others, according to a U.S. government official familiar with a more than year-long investigation into the evidence of a broader campaign.”

While the story is light on details, it adds a bit more context to an FBI “flash alert” that KrebsOnSecurity obtained independently last week. The alert said the FBI has received information regarding a group of cyber actors who have compromised and stolen sensitive business information and Personally Identifiable Information (PII) from US commercial and government networks through cyber espionage.”

Full Article

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I will say one thing in Anthems favour here. I am glad to see that they were quick in informing people about the breach instead of waiting months like a lot seem to to do these days.

6th February 2015 By Sara Peters
 Was the data encrypted in storage? Investigators aren't saying, but they hint that it wouldn't matter either way.
 In a rare (perhaps unprecedented) move, a large company reported a data breach -- to authorities, the media, and the individuals whose data was stolen -- well before they were legally obligated to do so. Wednesday night, Anthem Healthcare, the nation's second-largest health insurer, began notifying its customers and the media that the personal records of as many as 80 million individuals were compromised -- a mere eight days from when Anthem first detected suspicious activity Jan. 27.

In a statement, Anthem president and CEO Joseph Swedish said, "Once the attack was discovered, Anthem immediately made every effort to close the security vulnerability, contacted the FBI and began fully cooperating with their investigation. Anthem has also retained Mandiant, one of the world’s leading cybersecurity firms, to evaluate our systems and identify solutions based on the evolving landscape."

Full Article

Userlevel 7
Good response Jeff......................as a added protection I placed a fraud alert on my credit as well as my wife.
Userlevel 7
The following article is a update:

State-sponsored Chinese hackers suspected in Anthem breach.

By Grant Gross

Hackers involved in the data breach at health insurer Anthem may have ties to the Chinese government, according to a news report.
Investigators see techniques used by a nation-state attacker, with China a leading suspect, reported Bloomberg Business. The news report cited information from three people close to the investigation,which is being conducted by the FBI and private cybersecurity firm Mandiant.
The investigation is in its early stages, but some of the software and techniques used in the Anthem attack are similar to attacks used almost exclusively in the past by China, according to the Bloomberg article.
The personal information, including Social Security numbers and email addresses, of about 80 million people may be exposed in the breach, according to Anthem. Anthem has 37.5 million subscribers for its health plans, and more than 68 million people are customers of its affiliated companies under brands including Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Empire Blue Cross and Amerigroup.

full article

Userlevel 4
Well.  I'm off Chinese food for awhile.  :@  Have spent the morning working on freezing credit agencies....the Big Three, anyway.  And I thought the Anthem website was goofy!  I won't go into the weird glitches in trying to get this done, but am only halfway there.  Talked to Anthem and they aren't sending out mail if your info wasn't compromised, just if it was, and couldn't give me a time frame when it should arrive if we are getting a letter.  In the letter are instructions for setting up their identity theft protection.  In the meantime.....

I'm sure some people, or maybe a lot of people, think what I'm doing is an overreaction.  I have a friend who verbally blew it off and said not to worry.  Well, I am not happy that someone has names, address, phone number, social security numbers, employment, income and whatever else.  I heard on the news last night that there are already people making offers on Craigslist to buy this information.  I know identity theft is a nightmare and expensive to unravel, so my husband and I have decided to do whatever we can within reason to protect ourselves....or at least make our information more frustrating to someone who would use it in the hope they'll go on to others who are easier to use.  Just not ready to buy LifeLock.  If it wasn't so tiring, I'd live to frustrate hackers.

Hey, Webrooters....hope you have a good day.  Back to work, then nap time!  :D 

Later.....Jan
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Well Jan I for one do not think you are overeacting at all.
I have just been reading this article, and maybe you are doing the right thing and also that maybe others should follow your lead.
But this article does give an idea of the profits they make and it is scary.

Crooks will use the information to steal identities, not just run up credit card bills.

Feb 6, 2015  By Tim Greene

The hackers who stole personal data from health insurer Anthem stand to make a whole lot more than the ones who stole 56 million credit and debit card numbers from Home Depot because the potential payback per identity is so much greater.

“Compared to credit card information, personally identifiable information and Social Security numbers are worth more than 10x in price on the black market,” says Martin Walter, senior director at RedSeal.

That could be a conservative estimate, according to a report by PwC called “Managing cyber risk in an interconnected world: Key findings from The Global State of Information Security® Survey 2015.”
“A complete identity-theft kit containing comprehensive health insurance credentials can be worth hundreds of dollars or even $1,000 each on the black market, and health insurance credentials alone can fetch $20 each; stolen payment cards, by comparison, typically are sold for $1 each,” the report says.

Full Article

Userlevel 4
Thank you, Jasper.  Wow.  That article is just a bit frightening.

I am done and done with the credit freezes.  If anyone decides to do this, be prepared to have to "thaw" several days before you want to apply for a loan or credit card or other.  There is plenty of information on each site about how it works and whether it's a good "fit" for someone.  We did ask if we could still use our current credit cards without waiting, for instance in the grocery line for three days while our ice cream melted, and were told our current credit cards can be used as usual and are not affected.  They'd better be right. 

If anyone wants the info:

Equifax....1-800-685-1111.  Be prepared to answer questions...SS#, address, birthdate, etc. to verify.  We got our Pin and Confirmation #'s on the phone after paying $5 (it differs from state to state, but there is a list of how much is charged in each state).  If you are married, you both have to freeze your credit separately.  Our phone disconnected before my husband got his Pin, so had to call Customer Care and wait a long time to talk to someone, but she did give us his Confirmation#.  That phone contact is 1-800-829-4577.  Will receive all the info in the mail.

Experian....Done online.  Look for "freeze account" or however it's worded.  Fill in information.  After they confirm and you pay, a page should come up with an ID#.  Didn't notice that when my husband did his, but I caught mine and printed it out.  Pin and Confirmation numbers will come in the mail.

TransUnion....1-888-909-8872.  Do NOT go to the website and set up an account.  Big mistake.  Couldn't get into the account and wasted a lot of time trying, so finally found phone number and called.  Come up with a 6-digit personal pin....they will ask you for one.  I had to scramble to write down the first one so I wouldn't forget it, so have one ready.  Otherwise, questions, pay, and packet will be mailed in 5-7 days.  Actually maybe the easiest one once I used the phone number.

Some of the multiple choice questions at one site (I think it was TransUnion) were a bit weird, like "on your driver's license, what color are your eyes";  "did you live with any of these people in the last 5 years", "what is the term on our car loan".  On the Customer Service call to Equifax, we had to tell them how much our car loan was/month.  A lot of scrambling around to find answers on a few things, but nothing totally ridiculous.  I'm glad they were checking some offbeat things to verify it was us.  

Aside from checking accounts for unusual activity, changing a few more passwords, and waiting for the letter from Anthem if one comes and setting up their identity theft program , I can't think of anything else to do at the moment.  I hope it's enough.

Otherwise, wishing everyone a good weekend.  Just no Chinese food in MY house.  ;)

Jan
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks for the terrific writeup Jan!  Would you mind if I made a knowledgebase article out of this?
Userlevel 4
Hey Nic.....  Please feel free to use any of this information.  I'm fairly sure I got the info correct and am not steering anyone wrong, but I just wrote what I experienced.  If it helps anyone, I'm very happy about that.  Write away!

And tnx!  I wasn't expecting to become a literary celebrity!  LOLOL  J/K   (You guys will have to get used to my weird sense of humor, sorry to say).

Jan