JP Morgan Confirms Breach

Userlevel 7
This just in.

Numerous reports, such as this one from Fortune, are saying that JP Morgan has confirmed a massive data breach that affects 76 million households and about 7 million small businesses. 

From the article: 

JPMorgan said in a regulatory filing on Thursday that the widespread data breach affected customers who used the bank’s Chase.com and JPMorganOnline websites, as well as the Chase and J.P. Morgan mobile apps. While the breach may have compromised users’ contact information – such as names, address, phone number, e-mail, etc. – the bank says “there is no evidence” that customers’ financial information was stolen.

If that's actually the case, this means that account numbers, passwords, and social security numbers were not compromised. JP Morgan says it's cooperating with government authorities as it continues to investigate the breach. 

Look for updates to this story to come. 

(Source: Fortune)

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Hackers got away with a list of applications and programs installed on the standard JP Morgan computers

By Ionut Ilascu on October 6th, 2014 The hackers accountable for the JP Morgan Chase cyber-attack also penetrated the computer systems of nine other financial institutions and are now thought to be operating from Russia and having some connections with officials of the Russian government.
As a result of the investigation, it has been discovered that data on 76 million households and seven million small businesses have been exposed during the incident. The details included names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses.

Over 90 servers of the bank were affected

According to a new report published by the New York Times on Friday, there is no public information whether the attacks on the other targets, whose identity remains undisclosed, were as deep as in the case of JP Morgan. Full Article
Userlevel 1
Kind "Internet Disciplinarians" -

Out of curiosity (and a little trepidation), I was wondering if you might know anything about the state of recently-closed accounts (within the past year or so - we're credit card free except for the emergency one!). I paid off and closed my Chase accounts, and used the website frequently while the cards were still active, but haven't heard anything about the range of times duing which the websites / apps were used, and their relationship to the breach (or I just have poor comprehension skills today - possibility!).

Have you heard anything?

Thanks so much,
US Hstrian
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Kind "Internet Disciplinarians" -

Out of curiosity (and a little trepidation), I was wondering if you might know anything about the state of recently-closed accounts (within the past year or so - we're credit card free except for the emergency one!). I paid off and closed my Chase accounts, and used the website frequently while the cards were still active, but haven't heard anything about the range of times duing which the websites / apps were used, and their relationship to the breach (or I just have poor comprehension skills today - possibility!).

Have you heard anything?

Thanks so much,
US Hstrian
Hi and welcome to the Community USHstrian, sorry we do not know anything about the state of recently closed accounts, you will have to contact your nearest local branch to find out about those, unless a member on this site knows themselves and is able to help.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the kind welcome, Jasper!

I have been calling them, and, if I am (ever) able to get through, I will let you know what they say.

I will pass this along, for what it's worth: I *was* told by a local branch that credit card accounts opened via a mail offer and *not* specifically associated with a check or savings account or a branch must be dealt wth through the 800 number.

They didn't have a number for me to check specifically on closed account status - and directed me to the chase cards online assistance via:

https://www.chase.com/credit-cards/customer-service

The Chase Credit Cards phone number - 1-800-432-3117 - is the same as the branch gave me ... but getting through just isn't happening right now.

Hope this helps.
Userlevel 7
What's in MY wallet?  NOTHING from any national bank!

There is something to be said about dealing with a small rural bank: they fly under the radar and are not worth the trouble to hack much of the time 🙂
Userlevel 1
One additional item:

I just tried to send them a "secure e-mail" via the linkk on their page... but you must sign in with your old username and password - which hasn't worked since I closed my account.

It appears that, once you close an account with them, they remove your account access entirely. THEY still have your account info in full (I needed to call them regarding some paperwork once about three months after I closed the account; they just hit a button and I received it about 5 days later) - but darned if the account holder can reach it at any time after they hit that button to close it. I just don't know how long they keep that info on their servers.
Userlevel 1
Absolutely, David!

I have accounts in several local banks and credit unions, and I'll be darned if I will "go national" again! And, independent investment advisers, not big companies...

Good to "shop local, invest local"!
Userlevel 7
The following article is a update

(Several US Banks Attacked by Hackers Who Hit Chase)

By AFP on October 08, 2014

NEW YORK - Several US financial institutions were targeted by the same computer hackers who breached the systems of JPMorgan Chase earlier this year, sources familiar with the matter said Wednesday.
While the location of the hackers was not clear, the sources told AFP that numerous intrusion attempts were made at computer systems at major banks and other institutions.
The disclosures confirm earlier comments from US officials who have said that computer systems of US banks had been under attack from hackers, and that these systems could be considered part of the nation's "critical infrastructure."
Among the targets in the attacks were Citigroup, Regions Financial Corp, the payroll firm ADP and the online brokerage firm E-Trade, according to the sources.
One source said that Citi was aware of the attacks but that the hackers failed to gain access to the banking group's database.
The New York Times reported meanwhile that President Barack Obama and his national security advisers were briefed on the attacks and that officials considered the hypothesis that the source was from Russia, possibly in retaliation for US sanctions over Ukraine.
Regions, a southern-based regional banking group, noticed unusual activity but did not believe any customer data was compromised, a source familiar with the matter said.

SecurityWeek/ Article/ http://www.securityweek.com/several-us-banks-attacked-hackers-who-hit-chase

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Webrooters!

I just recieved an email form Chase Bank telling me that they have been compromisedby a Cyber attack. So my email, phone number and address is know by this!  Nothing else like online banking  accounts are compromised.

So upsetting but do you think the Russians will be calling me now?:@
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hello Webrooters!

I just recieved an email form Chase Bank telling me that they have been compromisedby a Cyber attack. So my email, phone number and address is know by this!  Nothing else like online banking with passwords aren't compromised.

Well, if they do, you can turn it into a postive thing: Ask to speak to Mr. Snowden and do a great write up, blog style post here with the interview   🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Hello Webrooters!

I just recieved an email form Chase Bank telling me that they have been compromisedby a Cyber attack. So my email, phone number and address is know by this!  Nothing else like online banking with passwords aren't compromised.

Well, if they do, you can turn it into a postive thing: Ask to speak to Mr. Snowden and do a great write up, blog style post here with the interview   :)
Good one David!

Very positive indeed! Snowden probably is involved as far as that goes!! Bloging away!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Cybercriminals may have government relations, though
By Ionut Ilascu on October 21st, 2014 There has been speculation about the Russian government directing the cyber-attack against JP Morgan Chase this summer, but the FBI denied any indication that the country was involved in the incident, although the possibility has not been ruled out completely.
Initially, officials in the investigation told reporters that the suspected reason of the attack was retaliation from the Eastern European country as a result of the sanctions it faced from the Western government because of the conflict in Ukraine. 

FBI has a different theory, does not confirm government involvement

There was no proof at that moment, nor is it now, to support this kind of allegations. However, clues have been found, pointing that the attackers are of Russian origin and have at least some vague connections to government officials. Full Article
I like the fact that I called chase a number of times to report fraudulent activity, to be transferred a number of times, to be put on hold numerous times, [sometimes up for an hour [I didn't really mind, I multitask...] but then I get HUNG UP ON! Then, I go into the brick and mortar, and WHAT DOES THE PERSON SAY TO ME? "I HAD BETTER HAVE THIS FRAUD STOP IMMEDIATELY OR CHASE IS GOING TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNTS!

I'm sorry? Are you saying you do NOT want my business? Because I am PRETTY SURE that even though all of these charges are UNAUTHORIZED, I STILL PAY MY BILL IN FULL EVERY SINGLE MONTH-OVER 3K, when it is a 1500 credit limit!? and NOT ONCE does chase BOTHER TO NOTIFY ME OF ANY IRREGULAR ACTIVITY!?!??

If there is no class action yet, there is going to be at least one suit, bet on that!
Oh, Russians may have something to do with it; however, since my computer and thus all other accounts have since been compromised, I have noticed much in the Asian/ Asian South Pacific areas, as well. So I would say FBI may be correct there...
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Summary: Authorities are confident that hackers who broke into the systems of JPMorgan will wind up in court within months.

By Charlie Osborne for Zero Day | March 16, 2015
http://zdnet2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2015/03/16/9f8b51b1-6661-4a6c-b54e-8412e2bb6e98/resize/770x578/bebba0885b4120b96a7f45cf8108564c/it-security.jpg 
US federal agents tracking cybercriminals who broke into the networks of JPMorgan Chase & Co are "confident" charges will be filed in the coming months.

Law enforcement agencies investigating the breach believe a criminal case will be filed against the hackers this year, the New York Times reported on Sunday. According to the publication, federal agents are "increasingly confident" they are on the right trail to unmask and apprehend the hackers.

In addition, law enforcement officials believe at least several of those suspected to have taken part in the cyberattack are "gettable" -- in other words, they live in countries where an extradition treaty with the United States is in place. Countries including Russia, Ukraine, Vietnam and Morocco are not included.

Full Article