Malwarebytes update destroys thousands of computers

Userlevel 2
According to a news article today, Malwarebytes has released an update that caused severe issues for it's users.

The security update specifically confused the software into thinking that  Windows .dll and .exe files were malicious

Malwarebytes' Marcin Kleczynski issued a statement about the incident: "It  saddens me to report that at around 3PM PST yesterday, Malwarebytes released a  definitions update that disabled thousands of computers worldwide"

Kleczynski has stated that new policies will be put in place to prevent  something like this from happening again: "We are commissioning several new  resources to stop this from happening again. We are building more redundancy to  check our researchers' work and improving our peer review."

thank heavens for Webroot's researchers dilligence 🙂 !!!!

see the orginal article at

http://vr-zone.com/articles/malwarebytes-update-destroys-thousands-of-computers/19733.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+vr-zone+%28VR-Zone+%7C+Coolest+Gadgets+for+Men%2C+Geek%2C+Nerd%2C+Overclockers+and+Enthusiast%29

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Thanks for the warning!

While I don't use MB there is a lot of WSA members who use it, so they should be really wary.
Userlevel 7
Ouch.  Thank you for the information! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes I seen this Issue on many forums I have it but just On-Demand but never needed it!

TH
Userlevel 7
I was on a different forum the other day when that happened. It messed up a bunch of systems, and it was not pretty.
Userlevel 7
Oh! That's not good. I'm not using MBAM right now. I always use it on-demand.
Userlevel 7
Some users were able to restart in safe mode and do a restore from MBAM to restore the files, but many others had to do a full OS reinstall.
Userlevel 7
That's why I always press on keeping an image backup using a reliable imaging app. It saves all the trouble with a click. Simple and fast. Problem solved.:)
Userlevel 7
Thank you shadowswiss for the post on MBAM. I am a user of MBAM Pro. Thank God my wifes computer was shut down when this corrupt update was made. I was not so lucky on my XP computer. I was looking at my email and clicked a link in the email and Bingo, thinks started to go crazy. I thought I was being hit with malware until I looked at what was being quarantined, All Windows files! Tried to stop MBAM, useless wouldn't stop. I had to decide quick to do a hard shut down. I'm glad I did. When I started the computer up all I could get was an internet connection with IE-8. Nothing else worked. I looked at the MBAM Forum and found out about the corrupt update. Forgot to mention, Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete was still working and thank God I always run Backup & Sync. :D
The MBAM Fix worked for my computer, but I did a clean reinstall of my security software. Running MBAM on-demand now, I know WSA will take care of me! 😉
Userlevel 7
@ProTruckDriver
Good going. I also MBAM on-demand. WSA will surely take care.:)
Userlevel 7
It looks like it was indeed a killer update, glad I keep away MBAM. I trust only WSA, so hey Webroot folks, I hope you won't let me down ;)
Userlevel 7
I have always said with regard to MBAM that while its a decent product however you do have to understand what it has detected. I have seen support tickets in the past from customers about MBAM finding stuff that we havent and after getting the logs it was alerts about certain registry entries and not infections.