MasterCard Says It Will Use Selfies to Replace Passwords

• 26 February 2016
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
By Chris Preimesberger  |  Posted 2016-02-25

Double biometric checks already have been tested in the U.S. and the Netherlands. The company will be launching them in the U.K. soon.
Every security provider would like to find a replacement for passwords, which can easily be forgotten and are too often stolen, hacked and otherwise abused by bad actors. 
MasterCard thinks that faces and fingerprints can't easily be stolen, forgotten, hacked and otherwise abused quite as much as passwords, and it's probably right. With this in mind, the credit card company has announced that its customers will soon be able to replace their passwords with a selfie and a fingerprint to verify their identity to make payments online.

full article here:

3 replies

Userlevel 7
I would personally not trust biometrics at the moment as I suspect that they are an area waiting to be exploited by the hackers, as and when they put their mind to such a task.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
I would personally not trust biometrics at the moment as I suspect that they are an area waiting to be exploited by the hackers, as and when they put their mind to such a task.
I agree Baldrick, as we speak the hackers will be experimenting already with their methods and it will not take them long before they find a way around the systems.
Userlevel 7
The following article is a update on MasterCard
****************************************************************************************************************************************

Is MasterCard's 'selfie pay' too much of a security risk?.

By André Malinowski

Biometrics were the talk of the town last month in Barcelona. As the world’s mobile technology companies gathered for their largest annual event, Mobile World Congress 2016, talk centered firmly around authentication and identity.
Whilst MasterCard announced it will accept selfie photographs and fingerprints as an alternative to passwords when verifying IDs for online payments, security company Vkansee was demonstrating how easy it was to create a spoof finger with clay and a pot of Play-Doh.
 The Future of Mobile Payments
When the MasterCard system goes live in the UK and 14 other countries this summer, users will be able to complete an online purchase without the need for PIN codes, passwords, or confirmation codes. Instead, they can opt to download an application to their PC, tablet, or smartphone and opt to take a selfie which is mapped against a stored image on file to allow payment.
The new biometric system is, says MasterCard, the first of a number of new biometric services designed to improve identify verification for mobile phone payments and other wearable devices. The company is also testing voice and iris scanning as a means to authenticate credit card transactions and eliminate fraud.
And, according to MasterCard, consumers love the "selfie pay" approach. Trials in the Netherlands and US found that 92 percent of participants preferred the new approval system to passwords.

full article here: