Microsoft patches Windows XP to fight the WannaCrypt ransomware attacks

• 13 May 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Microsoft released a patch in March to protect against the flaw the attack was exploiting, but only supported versions of  Windows received it. However, the WannaCrypt ransomware worm has been found to be spreading by targeting out-of-date systems, prompting Microsoft to now make the security update available for all platforms, including those receiving custom support only -- Windows XP, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2003. It’s available for download here.
Full Article

8 replies

Userlevel 7
WELL DONE MICROSOFT! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Dam exploits. 😠
Very nice of Microsoft to release patches for XP. But is this type of response really going to get those to move away from, the now antiquated, XP to 10?

Either they support a version or they don't. Which is it?

BD
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Either they support a version or they don't. Which is it?
Microsoft probably figured with this Ransomware hitting worldwide they better protect the old versions before they lose them as customers also. Very thoughtful what Microsoft did patching the old versions this time, I'd give them Kudo's for their action. ;)
Yes, I agree and I understand why Microsoft did it. But it really serves all these people right for not updating/upgrading when they should have.

Take it from me. Sometimes the only way people will learn is the 'hard' way. (Not saying that's good or bad, just, especially in my experience, a fact of life.)

BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Webrooters,

I agree with both of you BurnDaddy & ProTruckDriver. But with all these systems being hacked where are their backups? For example the hosiptals, cooperations..etc etc.. and don't their IT's know when to patch, update the systems. Am I naive about all this?

That's great Microsoft has included XP in the update/patches...
Userlevel 5
Badge +14
Whilst the Microsoft initiative is to be gretly welcolmed it is nonetheless after the event. However the real blame is amongst those who could not be bothered to either or both set up the systems to allow automatic downloads if Important updates or regularly check for these themselves. ( I have automatic set up, but check daily in case an off schedule comes through).

Surely setting up automatic is a common sense strategy in any organisation as it does not then leave the updating to an individual or two to check what's available & when.

Its astonishing that so many large corporate entities including NHS Trusts were using such antiquated protection which was no longer protected- indeed so by some years.

No doubt the highly paid CEO's will say that they did not know about the defects in their organisations- but they are paid to know- its part of the job. These failures are reckless & negligent, The excuse that it was an international attack so that makes it unavoidable & thus makes it OK (not our fault) is nonesense, as is 'we couldn't afford newer hardware'. It's not the age of the hardware that counts, its just good housekeeping by ensuring that systems are up to date and protected.

I might add that having a good AV system in place is also worth doing even if you do have to pay for it, short term savings create long term costs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Whilst the Microsoft initiative is to be gretly welcolmed it is nonetheless after the event. However the real blame is amongst those who could not be bothered to either or both set up the systems to allow automatic downloads if Important updates or regularly check for these themselves. ( I have automatic set up, but check daily in case an off schedule comes through).

Surely setting up automatic is a common sense strategy in any organisation as it does not then leave the updating to an individual or two to check what's available & when.

Its astonishing that so many large corporate entities including NHS Trusts were using such antiquated protection which was no longer protected- indeed so by some years.

No doubt the highly paid CEO's will say that they did not know about the defects in their organisations- but they are paid to know- its part of the job. These failures are reckless & negligent, The excuse that it was an international attack so that makes it unavoidable & thus makes it OK (not our fault) is nonesense, as is 'we couldn't afford newer hardware'. It's not the age of the hardware that counts, its just good housekeeping by ensuring that systems are up to date and protected.

I might add that having a good AV system in place is also worth doing even if you do have to pay for it, short term savings create long term costs.
Exactly Arjabhai...well stated! 😃