Microsoft sued Fancy Bear to gain control of the domains used in the cyber espionage campaigns

• 21 July 2017
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
July 21, 2017  By Pierluigi Paganini

Microsoft used the lawsuit to disrupt a large number of cyber espionage campaigns conducted by infamous Fancy Bear APT hacking group

We have discussed several times about hacking back and the case we are going to analyze is a good example of an alternative approach to hit back an APT group. Microsoft used the lawsuit to disrupt a large number of cyber espionage campaigns conducted by infamous Fancy Bear APT hacking group (APT28, Sofacy, Sednit, and Pawn Storm). The experts with the help of the authorities took over the command and control infrastructure of the group in order to analyze the traffic and the targets of the malware by using the lawsuit as a tool.

Full Article.

1 reply

Badge +8
Nice one. Fight them on their own turf. I am all for it. I bet it took them by surprise as criminals usually do not anticipate a level playing field. While Microsoft is not seen by many as the "good guy", this was ingenous and could make other cyber criminals to change their strategy. And if they do, someone else will be right behind them now that their methods are understood.  

Of course, I also doubt that the work of Ransonmare and infecting PC's are far from over, at least Microsoft has played their hand. Good work Jasper. Nice find.

Theresa