Outlook crashing after installing Windows patches? You're not alone

• 11 November 2015
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Reports are emerging of broken apps and crashes after Microsoft's scheduled monthly security update release.

By Zack Whittaker for Zero Day | November 11, 2015

If Outlook is crashing for you today, you're not alone.

A number of readers have emailed in to say that Outlook, the company's desktop client, had crashed following Microsoft's monthly release of security patches on Tuesday.
 It's not immediately clear which of the patches is causing the issue.

However, some on Twitter have pointed to MS15-115 (also known as KB3097877), a critical update affecting all versions of Windows, as the one to blame.

The patch fixes a series of flaws that could allow an attacker to remotely execute code on an affected machine by exploiting how the operating system handles and displays fonts.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By Eduard Kovacs on November 12, 2015 Microsoft has reissued one of the security patches released on Tuesday as part of its monthly update cycle after many customers complained that it caused the Outlook email client to crash.

Windows users complained on Microsoft’s support forums and elsewhere that Outlook 2010 and 2013 had been crashing when viewing HTML emails. Experts determined that the culprit was KB3097877 on Windows 7 and in some cases possibly KB3105213 (cumulative update) on Windows 10. Full Article
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Webrooters!

I haven't been on Outlook 2010 to notice a crash. So I am also thinking that I didn't update one of my computers Tuesday either.:@

Thanks for the article ?