Quantum Computing and Security

• 12 May 2013
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1581 replies
This headline from NBC News is certainly fascinating!

"Secret quantum network could make Internet perfectly secure"

The full article is available here, and it's pretty interesting.

However, the headline itself made me giggle, because something tells me this isn't likely to happen.  While quantum computing can protect a packet from interception, it does nothing to protect a computer against the potentially malicious content of any of those packets.  The kind of threat it would make impossible is not any kind of threat involving viruses, trojans, keyloggers or other forms of malware.  That's a far cry from "perfectly secure," even if it can cut down on information stealing via packet interception.  When two computers are communicating with each other, securing the connection is only part of the process of securing the interaction.  The other part is making sure that what Computer A receives from Computer B is good and not malicious and vice versa.  And quantum computing is not likely to change security in that respect.

What do you all think of quantum computing?  I like the idea of it for non-security-related reasons.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Great article!  I admit, I had to read a few portions twice to get the gist of it.

For applications such as banking or 'secure email', I think this has great potential.  I am not so sure we will see it in household use any time soon, but there would seem to be huge benefits for communication that needs to be secure.

The article does indeed forget that this is only 1/2 of the security puzzle.  Keeping packets from being read is one thing and important, but it certainly will not do away with the need of strong antimalware solutions as it does nothing for the actual content of what is being sent.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Great article Jim! 😉 David if anything is made by Man it can be circumvented and hacked we see this today the Internet is fantastic but Man ruins everything and it's all about the money. ;)

Daniel 😠
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Great article Jim! 😉 David if anything is made by Man it can be circumvented and hacked we see this today the Internet is fantastic but Man ruins everything and it's all about the money. ;)

Daniel :@
Very true!  We can always dream though :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@DavidP wrote:
@ wrote:

Daniel :@
Very true!  We can always dream though :D
Yes I wish the world was a Happy place. 😉
Userlevel 7
Matrix era comes ...

I believe it finds its use in certain areas but as David said hardly in households unless your household is in NASA ;)

Anyhow there always be a need of security solutions protecting PC stations. So WSA won't lose its business 😃
Userlevel 7
Nothing is hack-proof. 

If it can be made, it can be un-made.
Userlevel 7
The following is a update on Quantum Computing
==================================================================================================
By Roger A. Grimes | InfoWorld Posted on June 24, 2014

I've been fascinated by quantum computing and quantum cryptography for many years. Quantum computing promises to give us much faster computers, while quantum cryptography promises unbreakable crypto.
While the theory of quantum computing has been around since the early 1980s, creating widely usable quantum computers and systems has proven devilishly difficult. Scientists make incremental improvements every year and promise usable quantum systems in a decade's time. The barriers are both technical and market-driven.

InfoWorld/ full read here/ http://www.infoworld.com/d/security/the-quantum-cryptography-arms-race-has-begun-244907