• 30 March 2015
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
30th March 2015

If you’re an American and haven’t yet created an account at irs.gov, you may want to take care of that before tax fraudsters create an account in your name and steal your personal and tax data in the process.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Screenshot-2015-03-29-14.22.55.png

Recently, KrebsOnSecurity heard from Michael Kasper, a 35-year-old reader who tried to obtain a copy of his most recent tax transcript with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Kasper said he sought the transcript after trying to file his taxes through the desktop version of TurboTax, and being informed by TurboTax that the IRS had rejected the request because his return had already been filed.

Kasper said he phoned the IRS’s identity theft hotline (800-908-4490) and was told a direct deposit was being made that very same day for his tax refund — a request made with his Social Security number and address but to be deposited into a bank account that he didn’t recognize.

Full Article

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Isn't our Government wonderful. Just think Obama Care goes hand in hand with the IRS.

Userlevel 7
Sadly, I'm fighting them now. I lost my UserID and even though they claim to have e-mailed it, I have not received anything... Maybe it's time to make it a little bit tougher when completing online forms and such...
Userlevel 6
If they somehow get a subsidy using my name... I would love to know how they did it...

Trying not to get too much into politics...   I thought the entire purpose was to help poor people get subsidies.
I don't even have a full time job.  I'm hearing people who have jobs and they can somehow get enough subsidies to push it down to $50...    I put in my information and put in negative numbers.  

And I still managed to get ZERO subsidies.   They wanted $300+ 

Ugh, Back when I looked pre- "affordable healthcare"   I was going to be paying somewhere around like $100~ish   
Definitely nowhere near the $300 that they want x.x 
Userlevel 7
I for one have my taxes done by a credited tax auditor not on the internet no problems to date.