Skimmers Found at Walmart: A Closer Look

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Wednesday, May 25th, 2016 at 10:58 am 

Recent local news stories about credit card skimmers found in self-checkout lanes at some Walmart locations reminds me of a criminal sales pitch I saw recently for overlay skimmers made specifically for the very same card terminals.
Much like the skimmers found at some Safeway locations earlier this year, the skimming device pictured below was designed to be installed in the blink of an eye at self-checkout lanes — as in recent incidents at Walmart stores in Fredericksburg, Va. and Lexington, Ky. In these attacks, the skimmers were made to piggyback on card readers sold by payment solutions company Ingenico.
   http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/05/skimmers-found-at-walmart-a-closer-look/

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Looks like I won't be going through any self-checkout lanes anymore. Fredericksburg, Va that's getting close to home.

Userlevel 7
Well, technically anywhere that there is a card machine that relies on physical contact there is the possibility of skimming...therefore the only current safe method is 'contactless' or NFC...but how long before miscreants develop a way of 'skimming' these devices...?
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Well, technically anywhere that there is a card machine that relies on physical contact there is the possibility of skimming...therefore the only current safe method is 'contactless' or NFC...but how long before miscreants develop a way of 'skimming' these devices...?
It has already been done Baldrick. A while ago there were reports of people being robbed by people just being alongside them while holding an electronic reader.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Ideally I prefer to use good old 'greenbacks' at least for my day-to-day expenses, and rarely use a card in a retail situation, and don't like the 'contactless' idea, and wouldn't fully trust it (for several reasons). ;)    

Userlevel 7
Ah...well, I am sure that the battle is now joined and the good guys (& gals) are busy beefing up the NFC devices...whilst trying to work out what next in the never ending encounter between good and evil.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
24th June 2016

A KrebsOnSecurity story last month about credit card skimmers found in self-checkout lanes at some Walmart locations got picked up by quite a few publications. Since then I’ve heard from several readers who work at retailers that use hundreds of thousands of these Ingenico credit card terminals across their stores, and all wanted to know the same thing: How could they tell if their self-checkout lanes were compromised? This post provides a few pointers.

Happily, just days before my story point-of-sale vendor Ingenico produced a tutorial on how to spot a skimmer on self checkout lanes powered by Ingenico iSC250 card terminals. Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear that this report was widely disseminated, because I’m still getting questions from readers at retailers that use these devices.

Full Article
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Interesting video on discovering a skimmer:

Userlevel 7
Interesting indeed, Nic...thanks for posting that. ;)