Social engineering attacks: What makes you susceptible?

• 2 August 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

August 2nd, 2018 By Jovi Umawing

We now live in a world where holding the door open for someone balancing a tray of steaming hot coffee—she can’t seem to get her access card out to place it near the reader—is something we need to think twice about. Courtesy isn’t dead, mind you, but in this case, you’d almost wish it were. Because the door opens to a restricted facility. Do you let her in? If she really can’t reach her card, the answer is clearly yes. But what if there’s something else going on?

Holding the door open for people in need of assistance is considered common courtesy. But when someone assumes the role of a distressed woman to count on your desire to help, your thoughtful gesture suddenly becomes a dangerous one. Now, you’ve just made it easier for someone to get into a restricted facility they otherwise had no access or right to. So what does that make you? A victim of social engineering.

Full Article.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Awesome Article Jasper! I enjoyed this one very much! Learning, learning always!;)
@ wrote:
Awesome Article Jasper! I enjoyed this one very much! Learning, learning always!;)
I agree, Jasper. Thanks for posting. 🙂