Surprise! Magic Kinder app could let hackers send vids to your kids

• 5 April 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Infosec bods look at app, discover huge vulnerabilities

5 Apr 2016 at 10:39, John Leyden Security watchers have warned of massive privacy problems with the Magic Kinder App for children.

A lack of encryption within the Magic Kinder smartphone app and other security shortcomings open the doors for all sorts of exploits, they claim.

Hacktive Security alleges that a malicious user could "read the chat of the children, send them messages, photographs and videos or change user pro?le info such as date of birth and gender," as explained in detail in a blog post here.

Full Article

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Personally, I think that this whole thing about young kids having phones & tablets is almost 'obscence'...and if they did not have them they would not be potentially exposed to this sort of thing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Personally, I think that this whole thing about young kids having phones & tablets is almost 'obscence'...and if they did not have them they would not be potentially exposed to this sort of thing.
Yes, I think you are right Baldrick, they have no privacy or anything, they grow up in a totally connected environment and they need to learn to actually live a little first.
Userlevel 7
Completely agree with you, Jasper. That is how we rasied our Daughter and today she is pretty tech oriented and did not suffer from being 'deprived' at an early age. ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I think it is the only way.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Leaky diary gone, say security researchers

14 Apr 2016 at 09:27, John Leyden Developers have responded to warnings about massive privacy problems with the Magic Kinder App for children by casting off insecure code, dropping poorly implemented functionality in the process.

A lack of encryption within the Magic Kinder smartphone app and other security shortcomings created a severe security risk, as previously reported. Hacktive Security warned that a hacker could "read the chat of the children, send them messages, photographs and videos or change user pro?le info such as date of birth and gender.” Independent security consultancy Pen Test Partners confirmed that the app was riddled with security holes.

Full Article
Userlevel 7
I have to agree with you Baldrick what would these kids have done before this technology existed or even the web????