Uber now collecting location data even after you leave a driver’s car

• 1 December 2016
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
After reading this, if I was an Uber user I would stop having anything to do with them and remove anything on my phone etc. to do with them.

1st December 2016 by Lisa Vaas

Last year, Uber gave us a heads-up about its new privacy policy and how it had given itself permission to routinely track our locations even after we’ve left the car, following us as we sally forth into businesses, cross the street, or head for our doctors’ appointments, even if the app is only running in the background.

Now, with the latest update to the app – version 3.222.4 – Uber has put that into practice and is now tracking your location constantly if you’ve got the app running in the background. Oh, and it’s also asking that you always share your address book.

Until now it had only collected your location data if you had the app open.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
You are bang on with your analysis, Jasper...very worrying indeed if one is an Uber user...and it may well put some potential new users. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Uber employees regularly abused the company’s “God view” to spy on the movements of “high-profile politicians, celebrities and even personal acquaintances of Uber employees, including ex-boyfriends/girlfriends, and ex-spouses”, according to testimony from the company’s former forensic investigator Samuel Ward Spangenberg. Even Beyoncé’s account was monitored, the investigator said.    

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/13/uber-employees-spying-ex-partners-politicians-beyonce