Virgin Media Customers Targeted in Phishing Scam

• 18 October 2014
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Emails purporting to come from Virgin Media customer service department in relation to an alleged bill processing issue, seek to steal the credentials for accessing the service.
The messages are well-crafted, and in order to increase the rate of success, they include a variety of reasons that could have led to payment processing problems.

In the fake notification, the cybercriminals claim that logging into the My Virgin Media account and filling the fields with updated personal information would clear the issue.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Virgin-Media-Customers-Targeted-In-Phishing-Scam-462519.shtml

6 replies

Userlevel 7
This type of scam has been seen over and over again as common sense tells you don' t supply information as indicated in the above thread over the net. Contact the company directly to solve the issue if there was one.
Userlevel 7
Oooooooooooh, I am a Virginmedia customer so will have to look out...but so far nothing spotted re. this...but then again I have commonsense to watch my back...and WSA to zap any malware should I not take care;)
Userlevel 7
@Antus67 wrote:
This type of scam has been seen over and over again as common sense tells you don' t supply information as indicated in the above thread over the net. Contact the company directly to solve the issue if there was one.
Yes.. we have seen it over and over to the point of nausea.  The problem is that so many still fall for it.  Sigh.  The scam would not still be so darn common if it didn't work.  :(
Userlevel 7
What is very interesting Daivd...................people believe everything that is put on the web as "gospel truth" they need to wake up and smell the roses;)
Userlevel 7
@Antus67 wrote:
What is very interesting Daivd...................people believe everything that is put on the web as "gospel truth" they need to wake up and smell the roses;)
Yes... LOL, how very true.  And if they ever do wake up they will eventually find that those roses can be made of 90% thorns LOL!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks folks, for your replies, and I agree with you all, in one way or another. And yes, we know how common these occurances are.

What caught my eye about this was the perception of the 'bait' as being "well crafted", and it seems pretty authentic looking. But of course we all know that if one follows the basic rules about not clicking on unknown links etc. then there is no problem.

But they must snare many victims doubtless, and the only hope would appear to be constant emphasis on Education, Education, Education...in efforts to thwart the attacks.