Solved

Webroot with Windows Defender in 2021

• 23 April 2021
  • 3 replies

MSP here.  I’ve seen other posts that discuss Webroot with Windows Defender, but now that it’s 2021, Windows 10 has changed a bit.

Why other posts don’t apply anymore:

•  Disable periodic scans in Windows Defender is no longer an option
  • According to this article, you can set a DWORD value in the registry to enable Passive Mode for Defender, however, upon setting it, is has no effect on issue #1 below

Two issues:

1. With Webroot + Windows Defender enabled, Windows Defender is still actively scanning data in real-time.  I ran a test and saw the Microsoft Anti-Malware service spike up to 30-40% CPU usage.  Webroot is installed and functioning correctly, but Webroot doesn’t seem tell Windows Defender to turn off. I have a registry hack to force Windows Defender off, but I’d rather not apply that unless I have to.
  2. In addition, if I disable “Real-time Protection” in Windows Defender, I get a toast message that says that Windows Defender & Webroot are both disabled, even though Webroot is actually enabled.

My clients are asking why they are paying for Webroot if Windows Defender is doing a ton of work behind the scenes anyway….

Thank you

icon

Best answer by dstokes1 26 April 2021, 21:47

@asheroto Upon the the installation of Webroot, Windows Defender in 2021 “should” turn off the active scanning. Windows Defender is still active, but basically the AV “engine” is disabled. I can’t explain the behavior of Windows Defender your clients are experiencing, because it is not the norm. You could open a Support ticket with Webroot and/or with Microsoft to have troubleshoot it further.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@asheroto ,

This is a great question! Let me ping one of our product experts to see if he has any insight.

@dstokes1  

@asheroto Upon the the installation of Webroot, Windows Defender in 2021 “should” turn off the active scanning. Windows Defender is still active, but basically the AV “engine” is disabled. I can’t explain the behavior of Windows Defender your clients are experiencing, because it is not the norm. You could open a Support ticket with Webroot and/or with Microsoft to have troubleshoot it further.

Hello,

It should turn it off, but as of recently, it does not.  I have confirmed this problem on multiple clients that have the latest Windows 10 installed.  Windows Defender still actively runs its realtime scan simultaneously with Webroot.

I will open a support ticket with support.

Thank you for your response, that gives me some direction! :-)