webroot vs mcafee

• 20 September 2015
  • 2 replies

Bought webroot with new all in one from best buy. Do I need to uninstall the McAfee it came with?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Uni

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Whilst there is no need to remove McAfee in my opinion WSA will provide you with much better protection. However, nothing prevents you from running both on your system for a while and doing a comparison as to which one you prefer/which one suits you best. WSA is designed to be compatible/compliant with other mainline security application and practice that is true 98% of the time (only know issues are with BitDefender).

But I believe that you will find that WSA is lighter on your system resource, and also less 'noisy' when compared to McAfee, whilst giving yo that better protection.

Should you decide to remove McAfee then whilst it should uninstalll using the usual Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Program applet, in some cases it does prove more stubborn and in that case you will need to use the McAfee Removal Tool which you can find in this list of AV removal tools...just use the one for McAfee to make sure that you get rid of it completely.

Finally, McAfee comes with it's own firewall, and whilst WSA also has a firewall component it is different in that it requires use of the Windows Firewall or a 3rd party firewall, so you need either the latter switched on or the latter installed; for more information on WSA & the Windows Firewall please see here.

Do let us know what you decide and if you have any further questions?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Hi Uni

McAfee will be installed as a free trial and so if you do decide to keep it, you will eventually have to pay, probably after 30 days. My advice would be to uninstall McAee following the instructions that Baldrick gave and just use WR because, IMO, it is a far superior product in every way.

Nemo