We’ve identified the root cause and have created a patched version of WSA that is currently undergoing QA testing. Once all testing is complete, the patched version of WSA will be made available to our customers for manual and automated installations using GSM. We are closely monitoring the inflow of support calls and may push the patched WSA to all customers if the need arises.
The next version of WSA, due around December this year, will have the fix included and customers will receive it then as part of the normal deployment processes.
There are two workarounds that can be used until the patch version is available.
Workaround 1 – If you run agents with an unmanged policy, perform the following on each device
- Open the Webroot SecureAnywhere agent by double clicking the System Tray icon in the lower right of your screen or by using the desktop icon.
- Click the Advanced Settings button in the upper right of the window that appears
- Click the Shields button on the left side of the options window
- Remove the check mark next to “Check files for threats when written or modified”
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the options window and enter the code when prompted
Workaround 2 – If you run agents with other policies, perform the following steps
- Sign into the Webroot SecureAnywhere portal by visiting http://my.webrootanywhere.com
- Navigate to the Policies tab and select the policy used by your agents
- Click the Realtime Shield option on the left
- Set the Draft changes for ‘Scan files when written or modified’ to Off
- Click the Save Changes button, then the Promote Draft Changes to Live button
- Once the agents check in, they should receive this new policy and apply it correctly.
In both cases, note that the application or process that reported the error will need to be completely restarted. The simplest way to achieve this is by rebooting the computer.
- Only Windows 10 with Fall Creators update installed are impacted
- The issue does not affect all Windows 10 with Fall Creators update installed
- Workaround is available
- Patched version of WSA is on the way
- Patch available for manual or automate installations using GSM
- Fix will also appear in next release of WSA , due December this year