is Webroot connected with McAfee in some way. I have some questions about overlap and bad advice

• 13 February 2015
  • 6 replies

I'm a Webroot member since last year but I need some help.
My products are a mess and I'm NOT a tech guy
ONE honest company to handle my products is all.

Ringmastaah

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi ringmastaah

Welcome to the Community Forums.

The answer to that is an unequivocal...NO connection whatsoever.

Your best bet is to unstall McAfee and stick with WSA alone.

Please feel free to ask any further questions you may have on this subject.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

McAfee is owned by Intel but it's no better so Webroot SecureAnywhere is where it's at as all the work is done on the WIN Cloud and not on your PC: http://www.brightcloud.com/platform/webroot-intelligence-network.php it's the only way to keep up with more than 500,000 new Malware everyday and 143 Million new ones in 2014 alone. :S

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Hi there, 
Thank you for posting your question.  In the past I tried to get this answered and only found conflicting answers.  When I bought a new computer in September 2013, it came with a "free trial" to McAfee pre-installed.  Well, I ignored that and downloaded my subscription to Webroot.  The McAfee kept rearing its ugly head demanding that I sign up.  When I tried to uninstall their program I kept getting circular instructions which made it impossible to get rid of it.
I greatly suspect this is part of their secret marketing strategy, which probably also includes launching malicious code at people when their subscriptions run out.
Frustrated, I simply signed up for one year, after not finding any solid recommendation in this regard on the Webroot community site.
Last month, a tech guy at a store other than Best Buy told me, in no-uncertain terms, to NOT run TWO anti-virus programs simultaneously.  Apparently you can open yourself to spyware, etc. because one program will block the other from doing its job.
It's simple advice such as this and one more important item:  on an everyday basis, do not log onto your computer as the Administrator.  Create a User account to do this, instead.  This will make it nearly impossible to make changes to your system's registry.
Can't figure out why this piece of advice hasn't been made prominent in large print at every Best Buy Geek Squad desk and on all their brochures.
So, once again, your question - and the correct answers below, are much appreciated on my part.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
WSA will run along side most other AV's as it designed to so if both would detect the same malware WSA will let the other AV take care of it as it has it's hooks into it but if the other missed it then WSA would deal with it so what your saying is not true in WSA's case.

Daniel 😉
While what you say may be true, it is confusing to us non-techies.
Life is too complicated as it is - so why not simply state that ONE program is the best and ONLY one people should buy?
As it is, I spent money without need and ended up having a computer with frequent "lags" and "hangs" not to mention just being SLOW.
Anyway, I'm happy to be rid of the McAfee idiosy and very happy with your support, TripleHelix, my new friend!
I will give you a kudo today.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
If I said that then the Techies would get mad a me! Some of them are so paranoid and have 3 or 4 security layered programs believe it or not! And if WSA did miss something it can rollback to the pre-infection state unlike other AV's as all they know is Good or Bad and WSA knows Good Bad and Unknown see this short video: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-Education/What-Happens-if-Webroot-quot-Misses-quot-a-Virus/ta-p/10202 and they keep improving it all the time in the Cloud or the Client running on your PC.

Cheers,

Daniel 😃