• 23 October 2014
  • 4 replies

hi
i cannot see videos it is just a green box
what can i do to fix this

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Can you give us more info is it a program on your computer or visiting a Website to watch a video like YouTube or Netflix?

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Hello gerrie, welcome to the Webroot Community!

EDIT: TripleHelix beat me to it LOL!

While of course the primary purpose of this Community is to specifically help users with Webroot software, we are often willing to try to help with other issues as well.

I do have a few questions, to clarify things a big.

Is the green box fully empty, or is there any text at all in it?
Is there any form of error message, or missing software message at the top or bottom of the box?
What videos are you trying to watch?  (DVD's, on a web site in your browser, in a different program/application, etc etc?)
If it is in your web browser, which web browser are you using?
What type of device? (Android, Mac, Windows, Other?)

Any information of the above or anything else you can provide would be really helpful.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello gerrie, and Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Are you talking about playing videos online, for example at YouTube?

I'd advise checking that your flash player plug-ins are up to date, and working ok. Are you seeing problem in different browsers?

It is usually recommended to try disabling hardware acceleration, as follows, if you'd like to try and let us know if you have any questions, thanks: 

"While you are on a video page, right click anywhere inside the Flash Player and choose settings. Now click the first tab that says Display (look for the monitor icon) and uncheck “Enable Hardware Acceleration.”
Refresh the page (hit F5) and enjoy the videos. The performance of playback in Flash Player might take a slight hit after you disable hardware acceleration but that’s obviously better than watching a video that only has sound." ref. DigitalInspiration.

p.s. You can access hardware acceleration settings in browser also, to try. Which browser/s?
Userlevel 5
Badge +16
Do You have ad blocker?, I had this problem on yahoo UK and had to disable the ad blocker for the site.

If you are in the uk this also happens on some free TV streaming (catch up) services.