Solved

Possible threat

• 13 December 2023
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 4
  • Fresh Face
  • 23 replies

Webroot recently said there was a threat detected. I scanned and it found mxcrashreport.exe / maxthon5. The thing of it is, I haven’t been on this computer as admin in a while. A relative does have a guest account. I will double check and see if that guest account says there is a threat although I would thing threat is a threat regardless of which account.

I googled the aforementioned threat and it didn’t see any reporting that it was a threat. Anyway, can you explain some of this. thanks.

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 14 December 2023, 19:31

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7

Hello @SLW 

I recommend sending in a Support Ticket. When sending in a Support Ticket a Webroot Log is automatically sent to Support. They can look over your log and sort what is happening on your computer about this detected threat.

Webroot Support:

Submit a ticket 24/7/365

Call 1-866-612-4227  during the week Mon - Fri 7 AM to 5:30 PM (MDT)

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue.

Were you able to solve the issue?

Userlevel 4

I’m signed in here...able to comment. But the main Webroot website will not acknowledge my account name and password.

Userlevel 4

They gave me steps to follow: what is a key code? New security protocol?

Userlevel 4

Not mad but it would seem simple. The issue of me obtaining full access should have been handled when I called. Human brains are great at making false assumption...like that everyone who contacts the call center understands what to do. As if their words are an incantation.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @SLW 

I thought this was about an infection or a false positive but I don’t see anything about that in your screen shot? mxcrashreport.exe / maxthon5

So post back to support via the Ticket system and ask them for a security check and do it from the PC that showed the possible infection please!

Thanks,

Userlevel 4

In order to set up a ticket I thought I needed to to have access to where I needed to be to do that. I tried to log in on webroot.com  with the account name and password that I used for here, but it wouldn’t take it. It’s been a while since I’ve been here. and I did notice that Carbonite is now combined with Webroot.

Userlevel 4

I open up the Webroot Ap and click the “Get Customer Support” and there is no response...nothing pops up or no tabs opens in my Brave Browser.

Userlevel 4

I reinstalled my browser and got the Webroot App to work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

I’m sorry but all we asked you was to put in a Support Ticket about a possible infection.

Support Ticket: https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicetalk.asp?

Also mxcrashreport.exe / maxthon5 has something to do with the Maxthon Browser: https://www.maxthon.com/en/ and is not officially supported by Webroot.

So this has become very confusing for us Mods that are Volunteers on the Webroot Community as we don’t have any access to tickets or anything on the back-end.

Thanks,

Userlevel 4

I thought that password protocol would be the same as other websites. Fewer steps. So I was assuming and had lack of knowledge bc I haven’t been on Webroot communities/etc for a very long time. I finally got my key code and have created the account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

I thought that password protocol would be the same as other websites. Fewer steps. So I was assuming and had lack of knowledge bc I haven’t been on Webroot communities/etc for a very long time. I finally got my key code and have created the account.

No everything is different nothing is attached to the Webroot Community so keep in touch with support to make sure it’s not an infection and we do other support if you need to learn different settings and such!

Thanks,