Webroot toolbar not working in Firefox 66.0.1

Does anyone have a workaround to install Webroot Toolbar on Firefox 66.0.1? I have used the desktop toolbarfix.exe but I still cannot get the extension to be visible in the tools/add-ons folder. Help would be appreciated!

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Hello @marti077 ,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Normally, there would be two extensions from Webroot, the Webroot Filtering Extension and the Password Manager. Unfortunately the Password Manager is broken and has been, for many, for quite some time. The Webroot Filtering extension does work and should be visible. If it's not, check in your extensions and be sure it is enabled. Otherwise, a clean install should get it back. As far as the Password Manager, there is supposed to be a fix forthcoming, but while we were told it'd be around the end of February, we still wait. Some users are using the free version of Lastpass (which Webroot's PWM is based on) as an alternative in the interim. Some users are able to use the PWM in Chrome, while others have had luck rolling back Firefox to a version prior to 62 to get the PWM working. I will say that it appears to be hit or miss with those options, unfortunately. But, Webroot is aware of the issue, we are all just waiting for the fix.

Hope this info helps,
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
@ExpertNovice mentioned that Webroot stopped working with Firefox 66.0.1 in this post. They were going to try installing a previous version, specifically the 65.0.2 version, because they thought Webroot worked with that version. You might want to try the same. You might also want to consider the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit version. More info on that in the same thread I linked to. As an IT Admin, this is where I get clean install files for all Firefox versions.

Good Luck!
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ExpertNovice mentioned that Webroot stopped working with Firefox 66.0.1 in this post. They were going to try installing a previous version, specifically the 65.0.2 version, because they thought Webroot worked with that version. You might want to try the same. You might also want to consider the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit version. More info on that in the same thread I linked to. As an IT Admin, this is where I get clean install files for all Firefox versions.

Good Luck!

I have to disagree the version that started to fail with the Password Manager was Firefox 62 see this thread: https://community.webroot.com/webroot-secureanywhere-internet-security-plus-13/firefox-password-manager-toolbar-no-longer-works-314740

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
Sorry @TripleHelix, I wasn't clear enough. I was suggesting going backwards until @marti077 found a version that worked. In the other thread's case, they thought Firefox 65.0.1 would work for their issue. I don't think that included the Password Manager. You are correct about 62 being the last version that others have found that the Password Manager worked, but this wasn't always true. However, I don't know if the Webroot Filtering extension broke at version 63 also or if it broke later, e.g. version 66.

One thing is obvious, more and more of Webroot is breaking with each version of browsers that come out. I fill for Webroot because I'm sure it's difficult to keep up-to-date with the ever changing browser landscape. However, if you can't support it, don't offer it. Part of the problem could be the change with Firefox now defaulting installs to 64-bit. Webroot may not be built for this and I'm sure requires a major overhaul to support. Just a guess, and if you want to read my thoughts on 32-bit vs 64-bit, read the thread I linked to in my last post.

Sincerely,
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Firefox 61.0.2 was the last version that the Password Manager worked on then v62 it broke so it's been 6 months since this is been going on with the PWM. Hopefully this will get fixed soon! And it doesn't say 32bit or 64bit. Webroot Filtering extension has always worked for me on all versions of Firefox so I'm not seeing that issue at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +28
I hadn't seen the system requirements for Password Manager, so thanks for posting them. Seeing them is a major eye opener and I can see a few things that are the potential reason for it no longer working. Full disclosure, I don't know if any of this is true. However, I know enough about software requirements to know that if these requirements are accurate, there's a reason Password Manager doesn't work. I say accurate because companies don't always keep their system requirements up-to-date online.

1. Firefox Version - This is probably the biggest and most important thing I see on the list. They say "version 3.6 and newer" as @TripleHelix highlighted in his post. Mozilla made a major change with the release of version 57 that overhauled the browsers web engine, code named Quantum. The question is, did Webroot rebuild the extension to work with the new engine?
  2. 32 vs 64 bit - Webroot lists PC & Mac requirements, but it's incomplete. For instance, what does it support for the Mac. Since they don't list which ones, I have to expect both. However, they list both for PC, why not for Mac. FYI, per Apple, Mac 10.14 will be the last version to support both. However, from Windows 7 on and I believe every Mac version they list, the default to be installed was 64-bit. Given that @marti077 mentioned Firefox 66, I can narrow down that they are using either Windows 7, Mac 10.9, or newer OS. However, I don't know if it's 32-bit or 64-bit. If it's a 64-bit OS, Firefox will now by default update to the 64-bit version unless you update it manually using the installers I posted the link to. Using those you can make sure you install the 32-bit version, even if your OS is 64-bit.
Again, I'm only guessing about this and I don't know enough about the Password Manager to give an exact answer. However, these are things that I can see as potential problems that might be causing the issue.

Good Luck!
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
Sorry, I didn't see your second picture @TripleHelix until after I posted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
I hadn't seen the system requirements for Password Manager, so thanks for posting them. Seeing them is a major eye opener and I can see a few things that are the potential reason for it no longer working. Full disclosure, I don't know if any of this is true. However, I know enough about software requirements to know that if these requirements are accurate, there's a reason Password Manager doesn't work. I say accurate because companies don't always keep their system requirements up-to-date online.

1. Firefox Version - This is probably the biggest and most important thing I see on the list. They say "version 3.6 and newer" as @TripleHelix highlighted in his post. Mozilla made a major change with the release of version 57 that overhauled the browsers web engine, code named Quantum. The question is, did Webroot rebuild the extension to work with the new engine?
  2. 32 vs 64 bit - Webroot lists PC & Mac requirements, but it's incomplete. For instance, what does it support for the Mac. Since they don't list which ones, I have to expect both. However, they list both for PC, why not for Mac. FYI, per Apple, Mac 10.14 will be the last version to support both. However, from Windows 7 on and I believe every Mac version they list, the default to be installed was 64-bit. Given that @marti077 mentioned Firefox 66, I can narrow down that they are using either Windows 7, Mac 10.9, or newer OS. However, I don't know if it's 32-bit or 64-bit. If it's a 64-bit OS, Firefox will now by default update to the 64-bit version unless you update it manually using the installers I posted the link to. Using those you can make sure you install the 32-bit version, even if your OS is 64-bit.
Again, I'm only guessing about this and I don't know enough about the Password Manager to give an exact answer. However, these are things that I can see as potential problems that might be causing the issue.

Good Luck!

Version 62
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
What I find interesting is the date it was last updated in your pic was February 14, 2019. Yet Firefox version 65.0 was released on January 28, 2019 and version 65.0.1 was released on February 12, 2019. Firefox version 62.0 was released on September 4, 2018. I could see them being behind the 65.0.1 release, but I would think they would have hit the 65.0 release. At the very least I'd expect them to have hit the 64.0.2 release, which was January 9, 2019.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
What I find interesting is the date it was last updated in your pic was February 14, 2019. Yet Firefox version 65.0 was released on January 28, 2019 and version 65.0.1 was released on February 12, 2019. Firefox version 62.0 was released on September 4, 2018. I could see them being behind the 65.0.1 release, but I would think they would have hit the 65.0 release. At the very least I'd expect them to have hit the 64.0.2 release, which was January 9, 2019.
Don't go by my pictures for Dates as I go from the Beta to the Release versions of WSA and sometimes I do clean reinstalls of WSA just for fun. Also Firefox 66.1 will be released soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
Gotcha!