Solved

Webroot won't let go of hosts file!

• 22 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

I am trying to run Saints Row the Third on a PC with hardware that is way above manufacturer specifications, but performance is utter crap because the game keeps trying to connect to a server that no longer exists, and the only way to fix that is to edit the hosts file to point it at a different address that eliminates the problem. However, WRSVC has its grubby little paws on that damned file, and I can’t get it to let it the Hell go; the file is open, and I can’t close it. Webroot has no damned reason for preventing me from doing what needs to be done. The hosts file isn’t even used by any application but this game; I want to add a single line of functional code to what is basically a Remarks file that literally has no other use!

The only way I can think of to edit this damned file is to install Linux, boot it up in that operating system, and make the necessary change there, but that’s absolutely ridiculous! There has got to be an easier way!

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 22 July 2023, 17:25

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Never mind; I figured out an easier way (I’ll leave this up in case anyone else experiences this): 1) I disconnected from the internet, 2) I shut down Webroot, 3) deleted the now-closed hosts file, 4) replaced it with the edited hosts file, and 5) turned Webroot back on and re-established the internet connection. Problem solved!

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @gremlinkurst 

Webroot protects the Hosts file from being modified so if you need to modify uncheck this and click SAVE under Advance settings, once your done recheck it and click save again to protect the hosts file.

https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/webroothomeproductsuserguide/WebrootHomeProductsUserGuide.htm#1_ConsumerUserGuide/Changing%20shield%20settings%20PC.htm?TocPath=Shielding%2520your%2520computer%257C_____2

Click on picture to see full size!

Thanks,