Cloud security - WSA Endpoint Protection

• 14 May 2014
  • 5 replies

Hello,

The company I work for is currently using Trend Micro, which will be expiring soon. I am looking into another solution and have heard great things about WSA Endpoint Protection. One concern my manager has is that WSA is cloud based, which raises security concerns. I installed the trial version of WSA and am quite impressed so far with it. I am pushing my manager to purchase this software as I think it will be a great move for us. Is there any information you can provide me in regards to any security concerns my manager has with WSA? I too have always been concerned with ANYTHING in the cloud, as it just doesn't seem safe. However, I think we could save quite a bit of money and also lessen the load on our servers/workstations by going with a cloud based solution. Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Erika

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
What concerns does he have specifically?  All Webroot sends up is MD5 hashes of files for analysis, so no other data should be leaving your network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
My security tips for WSA admins:
  • Make sure staff never login to the WSA console on any machine not protected by WSA, to help avoid credential theft in the browser
  • Push Webroot on two-factor authentication during your sales negotiation. It's in the works, but please let them know this is a critical feature for you. They have a second password you have to put in, but it's not actually 2FA in case the sales person may be confused about that.
  • MAKE SURE you define multiple, restricted users for access to the Endpoint console. Do not share a login! Do not give normal users full rights, not even to your day-to-day account. You can deploy any software and run any command on the endpoints unless you remove these rights. Only the core admin account and extremely trusted users should be given this ability.
Somehow my response ended up in another section, but thanks for your help 🙂
Two-factor authentication would be a great feature for Webroot to add. I will be sure to push for this. Thanks for the advice 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Two-factor authentication would be a great feature for Webroot to add. I will be sure to push for this. Thanks for the advice :)
It is in the works, so keep upvoting the feature request so that we can light a fire under the developers 🙂