What makes me the biggest problems in English?

Userlevel 7
I will sort them according to my importance, however if I am wrong, please correct me ;)

Firstly, it's definitely the word order because it's different to the Czech grammar. I usually don't have a problem to find words and compose a sentence (OK there are cases where I have problems like after heavy drinking and so on) but I am not always sure about phrasing.

Secondly, as English isn't my mother tongue, I have also problem with the definite and indefinite article. However it bothers me less than phrasing because I think that using of article doesn't change the meaning of sentences. Moreover I remember my English teacher (he was translating to Mr. Adrian Basora - USS Ambassador to the Czech Republic in 90's) who always said with exaggeration that even native English speaker sometimes doesn't know where to use the definite and indefinite article.

Thirdly, it's the nonliterary language. Yeah, it also stems from being a non native speaker and it usually goes beyond my understanding.

Fourthly, it’s using of all those abbreviations. I know only BTW, FYI, AKA, ASAIK and maybe a few others which I cannot recall now. The rest is a nightmare.

Fifthly but it stands quite aside of this rank because it relates just to talking and listening ... that's the speed you, English people, speak. After two or three sentences I cannot catch you. You're like a machine gun. Watching CNN, BBC etc. is somehow OK for me because they speak to wide audience, not only to the English one, so they try to be clear. Nevertheless watching MTV, VIVA or listening to radio or speaking to the taxi driver or buying a hot dog in stand on the street is frustrating.

So, hope you took this read with ease and you laughed a bit, what was the only purpose because the spring is finally here, temperature goes up and sun is shining more and more :D

Have a cheerful and positive mood.

Petr AKA pegas

BTW, don't hesitate to take a red pen and correct this article how it should be to comply with the English grammar or if do you think that I omitted any other problems I have, please add them  :D

11 replies

Userlevel 7
It would be my guess that if I actually heard you speak, I would recognize that English is not your native first language.  As for your posts here: I really can't tell usually.  Your English is really very good, and to be honest it is a lot better than many of those who I work with!   :S
Userlevel 7
Thanks David, I am 😳 I am lucky that I need English at my work so it pushes me forward but honestly I like English language because it's voiced.
Userlevel 7
@pegas Your English is very good.:)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes you`re english is great Petr! 😉 Amit you`re english is great also! ;)

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Thanks Daniel.

Userlevel 7
Thanks DavidDaniel and Amit for your kind words.

I had expected your complaints and I received kind words instead  :S I wanted to show you in funny way how I am fighting some English issues believing you will smash me, what BTW I was prepared to withstand :D
Userlevel 7
@pegas Aw? Don't be sad. From now on I'll smash your English whenever I get chance. Cheer up now, will you!
Userlevel 7
@Amit wrote:
From now on I'll smash your English whenever I get chance.
Great, come on my friend! 😃
Userlevel 7
@pegas First let me buckle up.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Amit you`re english is great also! ;)

Amit, where are you from, if I may ask?  I'd agree your English is very good.

Edit: Ah, nevermind!  I see the answer in your other post.  ;)

Edit 2: Actually, this one is even better.  Haha
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Amit you`re english is great also! ;)

Amit, where are you from, if I may ask?  I'd agree your English is very good.

Edit: Ah, nevermind!  I see the answer in https:///t5/Non-Techie/Good-Afternoon-Thread/td-p/33966/page/2#.UWcmZ8pKuaE.  ;)

Edit 2: Actually, https:///t5/Introduce-yourself-to-the/Hello-everyone/td-p/33948#.UWc2YcpKuaE is even better.  Haha
Well what do you know, I'm from Bangladesh in a Parallel Universe.:D