cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Voice

Re: Why renew when new is cheaper?

Baldrick, is there any security benefit to getting a new keycode vs. renewing?  Much the same way as changing a password?  I was about to get a new keycode for the sake of cycling my numbers until BurnDaddy reminded me that I'd then have to open a ticket to have my password manager settings transferred.

Gold VIP

Hi Krieger_bot

Honestly, there is no security-related benefit to renewing a subscription, i.e., no new keycode required, compared with purchasing a new subscription, i.e., receive & need to activate a new keycode.

The disadvantage of the latter ove the former is purely administrative & one of ease of use in the case of ISP & Complete version users, i.e., no need to request Support transfer of password data and/or Backup & Sync helf data from old to new keycode.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.24.28, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.2

Highlighted
New Voice

Just buy new on deal, get the key code and just hold on to it until your sub is about to expire - i did this via NewEgg back in December and have just "renewed" with it now.

Works fine.

@Baldrick wrote:

The disadvantage of the latter ove the former is purely administrative & one of ease of use in the case of ISP & Complete version users, i.e., no need to request Support transfer of password data and/or Backup & Sync helf data from old to new keycode.

Ah, and that's exactly why WebRoot should make their pricing reasonable... because in the end it's going to cost WebRoot MORE money when people realize that buying a new license and requesting moving the backup / password data manually is what they are getting as a net after inconveniencing their customers.

I just bought a "new" license for $30 FROM the WebRoot website instead of opting for a $50.00 renewal. I'm not using WebRoot backup (I have DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive and much more) or the WebRoot password manager (I have LastPass, thank you).

Also, because WebRoot overcharges for renewals, I refuse to allow "auto" renewal. WebRoot has put themselves in the position of me re-evaluating them every year to see if I want to continue doing the "avoid getting gouged" dance.

I should add the following points: 

1. @Baldrick should be sainted for cogent advice.

2. If the auto renewal price is clearly stated as $30 in perpetuity, I would AUTO renew and would not be upset if that means I end up paying a15% penalty over some ephemeral sale price. But I don't want to pay an additional 70% penalty for the same service. Who does that?

I would like to continue leasing that car. But I'm not comfortable with the price unless you make it 70% more expensive. ~ said NO ONE.

3. I *like* WebRoot as software. Works great. The only things I dislike about WebRoot - other than my distaste over renewal pricing - is the amount of spam email they send me.

Frequent Voice

@StevenTheAmusing

Point by point:

1. Agreed.

2. Fair enough.

3a. Webroot has been a solid ever since I first discovered Spy Sweeper;

3b. Interesting...I don't get any spam from Webroot.

Krieger_bot

[Webroot Spam] (was Why renew when new is cheaper?)

Regarding "webroot spam":

Webrootspam.png

Above is what they've sent me in the last 2 months. Only the highlighted items aren't "Spam" by my definition since as best I can tell I never asked for any of it.

I've hit the unsubscribe button pretty much every time I get an email. No change in the volume... which as you can see is sometimes 4 or 5 emails per week.

Administrator

Re: [Webroot Spam] (was Why renew when new is cheaper?)

@StevenTheAmusing wrote:

Regarding "webroot spam":

Webrootspam.png

Above is what they've sent me in the last 2 months. Only the highlighted items aren't "Spam" by my definition since as best I can tell I never asked for any of it.

I've hit the unsubscribe button pretty much every time I get an email. No change in the volume... which as you can see is sometimes 4 or 5 emails per week.

If you are selecting the "Unsubscribe" option, then you certainly should not still be receivng email of that same variety. Allow me to look more into this, and to do so, please direct message me with the email address that is receving these.

Gold VIP

@Krieger_bot wrote:

@StevenTheAmusing

Point by point:

1. Agreed.

2. Fair enough.

3a. Webroot has been a solid ever since I first discovered Spy Sweeper;

3b. Interesting...I don't get any spam from Webroot.

Krieger_bot

Hi Krieger_bot, Hi StevenTheAmusing

Krieger_bot, have to agree with you re. 3a. & in relation to 3b...I hardly ever get a peep out of Webroot re. the renewal of my commercial licences for WRSA...so am not sure what the issue is there.

StevenTheAmusing...LOL...'sainted'? Hardly warranted (but thanks for the thought)...I might settle for 'cannonised' but I would not like to have to fulfill the usual requirements for that accolade...Smiley Wink...I will settle for camaraderie & bonhomie...much safer & more rewarding. Smiley Very Happy

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.24.28, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.2

New Voice

As someone considering a purchase of Webroot while using the trial reading something like this is making me think twice. Maybe I'll try a different product. Seems like webroot is like a lot of companies, they want you to sign up for "auto-renewal" so you'll just forget about it. They'll make it seem like your paying extra for the convience to try and fool idiots. They count on you being an idiot and from the sounds of it they set auto-renewal as the default choice when you first purchase, so unless you seek out that setting and change it you'll be charged next time your license runs out. It's the oldest trick in the book, but I guess companies have to line their pockets somehow. I guess they don't count on you being smart enough to turn it off and go purchase a new license when yours runs out. Besides that would be too inconvient on "your" part, right?. Let them make it "easier" for you and "more convienent"......