A guide to winning the customer service cancellation phone battle

• 19 July 2014
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I think all of us have had at some point difficulty at cancelling somethign over the phone. Here is an ineteresting insight in how to get your own way.

If you want to cancel your account, you must prepare to be (occasionally) nasty.

by Lee Hutchinson - July 19 2014

You can check out any time you'd like, but you can never... well, you know the song.

"AOL VP Ryan Block’s cancellation nightmare phone call with Comcast’s customer service went insanely viral this week, drawing a contrite canned response from Comcast’s public relations group and likely resulting in the firing of the overly zealous customer service employee who badgered Block for 10 solid minutes about his request to terminate service. Unfortunately, Block’s experience is far from unique. Putting aside the Comcast representative’s hilariously insensitive tenacity ("This phone call is a really, actually amazing example of why I don't want to stay with Comcast," Block said at one point), terrible phone-based customer service is standard operating procedure for most companies."

Full Article

6 replies

Userlevel 7
I had a similar experience awhile back with a customer service rep. I called and advised them i was cancelling their service.....but it was not sinking into their brain. They side step my request and tried to offer me a better deal and more fringes on top of what I already had.
I explained I was not interested and I wanted to cancel....they continued to badger me.............so...................I asked for the rep name she relented and  gave it to me than I asked the the VP name.....she would not give it to me...........I told here I was going to call the corp office and give her name to them and advised them she would not help me. She changed her tune quickley and complied with my request. http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticons/images/msn/moods/grin.gif
Userlevel 7
That rep gave him a real hard time, played the sales "sales". It was on the news here yesterday.

Comcast did make an apology.

People should not have to become a "customer from hell" in order to discontinue a service, unfortunately, sometimes it is the only option!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I've heard the best reason to give for cancellation is that you are moving out of the country.  That way the rep doesn't get dinged for not "saving" the call, since they don't offer service outside of the US.  They'll put it through right away and save everyone the hassle.
Userlevel 5
having worked in a call center I know how their metrics typically work, and I'll make a point of calling back even if the issue is resolved if the agent sucked just to nuke their #s.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah, I've worked call centers too, and they live and die by the numbers.  That's quite evil Chris 🙂
Userlevel 5
Yes, I am quite good at evil 😃