Apple releases new Journal app as part of its latest iPhone update. Here’s what it’s like

• 12 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Published Mon, Dec 11 2023 2:29 PM EST Updated 4 Hours Ago

Key Points
  • Apple released an AI-powered journal app for iPhones as part of the iOS 17.2 update.
  • When you tap the magic wand icon, it suggests things to write about based on what it knows from your phone, such as the music you were listening to or where you were.
Apple CEO Tim Cook delivers the keynote address during the 2020 Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) at Steve Jobs Theater in Cupertino, California, June 22, 2020.
Apple CEO Tim Cook delivers the keynote address during the 2020 Apple Worldwide Developers Conference at Steve Jobs Theater in Cupertino, California, on June 22, 2020.
Brooks Kraft | Apple, Inc. | via Reuters

Apple

released an artificial intelligence-powered journal app for iPhones on Monday as part of its iOS 17.2 update.

The Journal app, which was first announced back in June, uses Apple’s Siri to intelligently suggest topics to journal about. It might, for example, prompt you to write about music you were listening to, or document appointments you had that day and workouts you completed.

The Journal app is one example of how Apple continues to invest in new iPhone features on a yearly basis to protect its iPhone franchise from competition from Google’s Android and other phone makers.

The iPhone is still the most important product Apple makes, accounting for $205 billion in sales in its fiscal 2023, or about 52% of the company’s overall sales. The more that Apple adds features that are used on a daily basis — such as its credit card, its app store or its iMessage service — the harder it is for most users to switch to a competing phone brand or operating system.

The Journal app also highlights Apple’s approach to AI. Apple’s AI software, such as what’s powering the Journal app, runs on the device itself, not on a server in the cloud, which has privacy advantages over Google’s and Microsoft’s internet-based approach, especially for sensitive information such as health data or travel plans. Apple also doesn’t highlight AI as a key feature in its marketing — it prefers the more academic phrase “machine learning.”

Full Story

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hmm. Will update and try this out. Not sure if I’d use it though

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I’m with you Russel, not sure I would use this.  But I will check it out.