Board Games Go Digital

• 16 June 2014
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

A home computer that transforms into a tabletop game center

By Corinne IozzioHome Tabletop Computer The glass screen can withstand an eight-ounce steel ball dropped from a height of 39 inches. Sam KaplanWhen Microsoft debuted the Surface tabletop computer in 2007, the company envisioned groups of people sitting around a giant screen, sharing videos and playing games. But the Surface and the second-generation Samsung SUR40 are hugely impractical—too large for the typical living room, and too expensive for the average consumer. The engineers at Lenovo circumvented this problem by modifying a full-featured all-in-one PC to convert into a Surface-like game table, called theIdeaCentre Horizon.

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2013-06/board-game-redux

I thought this was interesting eevn though it's back in 2013

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I love playing digitial versions of boardgames because it takes a lot of the manual calculation and keeping track of the rules out of it.
Userlevel 7
Very true Nic, but that also takes out the 'House Rules' of a game like Monopoly: a lot of people like to create a "pot" of all fines/fees paid which goes to those who land exactly on Free Parking 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@DavidP1970 wrote:
Very true Nic, but that also takes out the 'House Rules' of a game like Monopoly: a lot of people like to create a "pot" of all fines/fees paid which goes to those who land exactly on Free Parking :)
Good point, I hadn't thought of that!